Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Too young for retained reflex therapy?

(9 Posts)
Ifonlyicouldtbt29 Fri 24-Feb-17 19:12:51

Hello! Anyone has experience with retained primitive reflexes therapy? My DS is 1 1/2 years old and awaiting ASD assessment with quite a lot of issues. I've read about RR and I just want to know if in your experience is it too young to have this therapy?

Thanks in advance.

tartanterror Fri 24-Feb-17 21:22:20

I think the exercises are so specific/tedious that it's only recommended for children of children 7/8 or above! Maybe have a look at Qi Gong massage? there have been some good studies on results and you can deliver at home via a book/DVD programme.

Ifonlyicouldtbt29 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:39:34

Actually i phoned the sound learning centre and the lady said that they do it for younger children and i asked about my 18 month old and she said they can modify the exercises for his age/compliance.

I back read some of the posts here and they said it worked for their children.

But it's 690££££!

JsOtherHalf Sat 25-Feb-17 14:08:04

Are you in England? If so, North or South?

Ifonlyicouldtbt29 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:06:54

I am in Northwest London.

JsOtherHalf Sat 25-Feb-17 19:42:43

Have you tried brainwave?

www.brainwave.org.uk/london

JsOtherHalf Sat 25-Feb-17 20:06:57

"Our work is generously funded by charitable donations, and Brainwave subsidises 80% of the assessment cost for each child. The parental contribution requested for therapy would never be more than £500 for a two-day initial assessment. The parental contribution for the subsequent one-day reassessment, every 4-6 months, would be £300.

We appreciate that for some families this is a significant amount, so we would like to assure families that there is means tested bursary assistance available for our initial assessments. Other funding opportunities will be discussed at the initial assessment by our fundraising team."

Parietal Sat 25-Feb-17 20:07:52

all these things are snake oil. they are very expensive and won't make any difference.

look up Denver Early Start Model as one of the few therapies for autism that actually works.

tartanterror Sun 26-Feb-17 14:38:26

To be clear Brainwave is not RRT or ABA (as it seems Denver is a precursor to) - as far as I know it is completely standard OT, Physio and SALT - the parents are trained to deliver therapy at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now