Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD, LD and potty training.

(4 Posts)
Whirltime Fri 24-Feb-17 17:34:07

I have a 3 year old dc. He's currently in nursery. He has a inclusion teacher and play leader support in nursery. He's 40 months old currently but his development tracking is in the 16 to 26 months area for everything. We saw his pediatrician yesterday and in June we will find out if he has ASD, LD or both.
Currently he's not potty trained. He has no clue about when he's soiled or wet and has no idea when he needs to go. I spoke to his pediatrician about this and she said that where his development is she would expect him to know. Now his inclusion teacher has written on his plan potty training. So the nursery want to try get him toilet ready. Now so I have introduced him to a potty and toilet. Encouraged him (initially successfully) to sit on the potty. If he has his nappy off at any time and we see him doing something we will rush him to toilet and potty and then praise him for being a big boy. He has not used the potty or toilet knowingly are all and when I can get him to sit on potty I will encouragemail him to stay for a while by playing or reading or something. Now other than doing this I can't see what else we can do to make him toilet ready. I don't want to push to much when he's not ready and it turns into a very unpleasant experience for us and him.
My worries are that we will push and create more issues. But also wondering if it's wrong not to push I don't want people to think I am purposely holding him back when am not but I also don't want to turn this in to a horrible battle that's really pointless anyway when he's no where near ready. Does anyone have any advice please?

PolterGoose Fri 24-Feb-17 18:29:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Whirltime Fri 24-Feb-17 18:43:11

Thank you.
I agree that is an important precursor. I have explained my worries to nursery but the just seem to want to go ahead.
I get the impression at times that in his reports it's about trying to get him on par with his peers. Where as from SALTS point of view it's now about just making sure he keeps progressing. His understanding isn't great and alot of his support plan is only do able if he does understand.

F1ipFlopFrus Fri 24-Feb-17 20:04:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now