Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Lsa being used for cover

(5 Posts)
Haddocksfunkychick Wed 22-Feb-17 18:54:09

I have already posted this and had some very helpful replies. It was suggested in a couple of posts that I post here too.

My eldest ds has EHC plan that was finalised last summer with a role being created for a learning support assistant to be with him for 25 hours per week. This is for 1:1 support as stated in his plan.

This role was filled with a great Lsa that really supports my son. He's moving up to secondary school in September and it's been all go with supporting his learning. He has short term memory loss which was only diagnosed in last year.

What's really bothering me is that when another TA is off sick or has to go to a out of school event, my ds's 'lsa' is being moved to a different classroom to then support the teacher.

I've drafted an email to send to the senco and I will be speaking to lsa in the morning.

If anyone has advice of how I tackle this matter with the school, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 23-Feb-17 13:00:34

Your ehcp officer is the best person to help you. Your childs provision is the responsibility of the local authority they have given the school money to pay for your sons support and should be interested to know that the LSA is being deployed elsewhere!

Good luck flowers

Littlefish Thu 23-Feb-17 13:05:25

Please don't speak to the LSA about this. She is being deployed by either the Senco or senior leadership team to the parts of the school so you're doing the right thing talking to them

I have a child in my class with an EHCP. If he is working with me in a small group, then his TA works with other children. The same goes if he's working with one of the other TAs.

Megatherium Thu 23-Feb-17 14:27:21

I think I can only echo what was said in the other thread - if the EHCP is clear that the LSA is 1:1 for your child, there should never be any occasion when she is diverted to something else during the 25 hours a week allocated. You need a constructive but firm discussion with the SENCO and class teacher about how they are going to ensure that this doesn't happen again. It may be necessary to make noises about disability discrimination and reporting the situation to the council.

Haddocksfunkychick Thu 23-Feb-17 15:28:42

I spoke to the Senco this morning who was arranging a meeting with the school to talk about my concerns. Senco said to let her see how the meeting goes tomorrow and we can go from there. Thanks for the advice and support. I don't know anyone else that has a child with similar needs to mine or has a EHCP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now