Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD4 has autism, DD2 is her opposite - but could she have it too?

(8 Posts)
Clementiny Sun 19-Feb-17 23:24:42

DD4 is super sensitive to everything. She has loads of sensory issues and barely eats. She's never shown any affection, hates being touched, screams the house down during hair and teeth brushing, has to have a very set routine, collects and hoards things etc. She's extremely careful and anxious, has no tact whatsoever and prefers to be alone.

DD2 can only say mum. She has to be watched constantly as she's always climbing and putting everything in her mouth. She is overly affectionate and climbs all over me and her siblings. She dislikes other children immensely; she will screech at and push them if they get within reach of her. She gets extremely angry and will bite whatever is to hand while screeching, shaking and going red in the face. She is not intense in the way her sister was but is intense in that she has to be watched constantly to stop her hurting herself or others. She is due a SALT review next month and I discussed raising the possibility of autism with DH but he thinks it can't be as she's so different to DD4. Do you think it could be a possibility here?

Blueemeraldagain Sun 19-Feb-17 23:29:25

How old are your DDs?

Brokenbiscuit Sun 19-Feb-17 23:31:20

I think 2 and 4 are the ages, Blue.

Clementiny Sun 19-Feb-17 23:35:00

Yes, sorry if it was unclear. They are 2 and 4.

Blueemeraldagain Sun 19-Feb-17 23:38:44

Ha, sorry! I'm never sure if the numbers here mean birth order or age!

I (I am an SEN teacher) would say there is a chance your younger daughter is autistic but not a given, she could just be 2.

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Sun 19-Feb-17 23:38:46

Asd is a spectrum disorder so, yes, they could both have asd and present differently. I have two ds's who are completely different personality wise and are both diagnosed with asd.

Craftyoldhen Mon 20-Feb-17 08:08:09

I have 2 with ASD who are complete opposites.

DD is highly verbal, bright, sensible but over sensitive to everything, chaotic and disorganised, demand avoidant and has dyspraxia as well.

DS has language delay, no sense of danger, is a sensory seeker, loves order and routine, and his gross/fine motor skills are excellent.

So yes it's totally possible.

Msqueen33 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:32:11

We don't expect all nt kids to be the same. That goes for kids with asd too. I have two with asd and they have are quite different. They share some traits but they have very different personalities. Worse raising with the salt. She may well just be being a two year old but doesn't hurt to get her on the radar. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now