Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD and hearing?

(9 Posts)
Knickersinatwist36 Mon 13-Feb-17 08:32:43

So, DD2 (7) has ASD and is in mainstream primary. She was diagnosed with hyperacusis after a referral to the hearing clinic where the dr chatted to me about certain situations but she didn't have her hearing formally tested (there was a problem with the room so the dr just put on a beep test type thing and DD2 had to tell her when she heard it). This was all a couple of years ago.

Now DD2 has made a few comments about not being able to hear people talk If anyone else is talking and has been asking us to turn up the radio and tv when they are already more than loud enough. I guess I'm just asking whether it's worth asking for a proper hearing test or whether you think she is not able to tune out other voices (which I know is common). There have been so many other priorities lately (school refusal, violence, sleep, food) that I have not been as proactive as I could have been but I'm now wondering it this could help with other areas. I suppose it's a what would you do?

F1ipFlopFrus Mon 13-Feb-17 09:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Knickersinatwist36 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:34:38

Thank you, F1ip I have booked a GP app to be ref'd to the hearing clinic (as I can't self refer - although they said they just reopen her file when the ref comes through). Just wish the endless appointments could turn into a period of calm normality but I'm not sure that will happen any time soon!

tartanterror Mon 13-Feb-17 21:56:50

I typed a reply last night and then lost it - sorry.

Check that the referral service can do Auditory Processing Checks.

We went through NHS audiology years ago and it was suggested we go for another hearing check. We waited 18 months last time (partly messed up paper trail, but also a long waiting list). So we went recently for a private check at charity CHEARS who can do both kind of screenings.

The Auditory Processing check consisted of tests to see if spoken word could still be picked up under a number of different circumstances eg with background voices, speeded up, muffled etc.

Your comments about TV and other things make me think you need an AP check and not just a standard hearing test.

If you haven't done so already - apply for an EHCP. If you have an ASD diagnosis and school refusal, your DD would benefit from a statutory assessment. Good luck

Knickersinatwist36 Mon 13-Feb-17 23:18:27

That's really really useful information Tartan, thank you, I hadn't even heard of it. I will mention it to the GP when I go. I hadn't considered private but DH suggested it tonight (most unlike him) so I will investigate that too.

DD doesn't have an EHCP I don't think they have them up here (we are north of the border). I am sure someone in the education bit of the council will notice the attendance soon though. Feel a bit more positive for being proactive about it smile

Thank you

frazzledbutcalm Tue 14-Feb-17 12:46:35

We see this man.

He's in Ayr. We get coloured lens glasses for Sensory Processing disorder, which includes the hearing difficulties you describe, due to Sensory issues. He's fab, and glasses make a HUGE difference!

Bloopbleep Tue 14-Feb-17 12:50:59

It may be different but I hear /everything/ at the same level -so a tv could be on loud and people whispering but I'm unable to filter out extraneous noises. I struggle to hear people talking outdoors or in restaurants etc because everything comes at the same level but it took me years to realise that's what the problem was and that people weren't talking quietly or that the tv wasn't down low. When you add additional visual stimuli it gets even harder as my brain has too much to process. Don't even get me started on eating noises.

I guess it may not necessarily be that your daughter has problematic hearing but that she's unable to filter what she wants to hear from
Background noise without going to an extreme (e.g. Turning tv up ridiculously loud)

tartanterror Tue 14-Feb-17 21:48:21

hmm is it ASN (additional support needs) in scotland? whatever the name, it sounds like you should be pursuring. We were told repeatedly we wouldn't get it by school and LA people, but are being assessed and have lots of letters from health professionals supporting. So go based on the evidence you have and the spirit of the SEN law - not what your school necessarily says!

Knickersinatwist36 Thu 16-Feb-17 09:43:29

Thank you all for your information and thoughts. It's half term (always lovely and awful in equal measure) I'm going to GP for referral next week and will follow up on ASL next week. Lots to think about.
Thank you all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now