Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Receptive language

(5 Posts)
2boysandadog9 Thu 09-Feb-17 13:13:20

I know I have posted about this before, but I am having a low day and just need to get it off my chest.... DS 2.4 has been doing a part time ABA program for 3 months and although he has improved loads in terms of attention, interaction and play, there is very little progress in his receptive understanding (no real expressive language at all)

I am really struggling with the language issues. It seems so daunting that he may never express himself verbally or that he may always have very limited understanding. We are doing PECS and he has picked it up quite quickly, but I can't help but feel sad that i may never hear his voice sad

I try to feel positive, but it's really affected me the last week. He has made progress and understands more than he did 3/6 months ago but it is achingly slow. I just feel like if the understanding clicks and improves I will be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel....

I feel like giving up and crawling under my duvet today

FrayedHem Thu 09-Feb-17 16:56:18

Sorry you're feeling down. It's natural to worry about the future but (you'll hear this a lot!), it's a marathon not a sprint. He's still very young and making big progress in attention, interaction, play and PECS already is a huge positive.

A duvet day is a good thing now and then! I hope tomorrow feels a bit brighter. flowers

UserOO7 Fri 10-Feb-17 09:05:30

At 3 my dd had receptive language of under 12 months, at 4 she's developed lots of understanding of instructions/ words to make her far far happier. She struggled with PECS I found (very literal, e.g. The cup shown was a different colour). She didn't really make progress for a long time, then it was a sudden burst.

I remember the day I was cooking and I heard her voice. She walked in and said "milk", sounds mad but I cried a lot as it shocked me to hear. I hadn't heard her voice and it wasn't like I'd imagined it in my head. Her sounds were clear and her voice was higher than my sons

Frogandbear Fri 10-Feb-17 09:31:29

2boys Everything you have written, I could have writted about my DS at that age. Above everything else, don't forget the 2.4 years is still very young and there's plenty of time for progress to be made.

Are you covering receptive language in your ABA program? e.g. labelling items or understanding and following instructions?

What helped my son in the early years was his love of books. He would sit and look at the pictures whilst I pointed out what everything was and what was happening in the picture. This is also how he knew his alphabet, numbers, colours and shapes from 18 months too.

2boysandadog9 Fri 10-Feb-17 11:09:54

Thanks guys!
Frayedhem - I think you are right, it's a rollercoaster and some days you just have to fall down a bit before you can pick yourself up. We had a chilled day and snuggled on the sofa and watched a movie! I am feeling much better today, thank you for your kind words flowers

UserOO7 - I have heard words from him and I cried too! He has said some random and very clear words 'woody' 'crocodile' 'daddy' but he hasn't said any for a few months... at least I know he CAN speak!
I will persevere with PECS and hopefully it will help.

Frogandbear - we have targeted some receptive instruction - give me, come here and he picked them up straight away. Labelling we have tried a bit, but I don't think he has realised that things have names yet. A lot of errorless learning a the moment!
To be fair he understands a lot of the everyday basics - stand, sit, lie down, chair, upstairs, bath, nappy. I have read a lot of people say that receptive improved around 4-5, it just seems a long way off!!! We have a workshop this month and I am going to ask for receptive to be the priority. He is very little and I don't want to push him too hard, he really enjoys his sessions!
How is your DS receptive/expressive now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now