Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to monitor academic progress at school? Any ideas?

(7 Posts)
amunt Tue 07-Feb-17 22:46:32

At Tribunal the school insisted that ds was learning in the classroom at a pace commensurate with his peers. This would be fantastic, but I know it's completely untrue. Ds is pretty able and is at the same academic level as his peers because I have taught him at home. I now want to hold them to account to prove their claims and it will also be useful to have a system moving forward. As I don't want to let him fail in the meantime, I need some sort of monitoring system whereby the school provide short term (e.g. monthly or half a termly) learning objectives that most of the class will achieve and I/they can assess ds' classroom learning accordingly.

I don't know if I've made myself clear, but has anyone tried something similar?

Thanks

Userone1 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:16:12

I'm a bit confused, you say your ds is at the same level as his peers?

What is it you want to school to prove?

Are you planning on not helping your ds at home to maintain his current level?

IEP's or the equivalent usually monitor progress

Melawati Wed 08-Feb-17 09:36:48

How old is your DS? At my DD3's primary school they send out a letter at the beginning of each term describing what they will be covering in the different curriculum areas during the term, so broadly what they expect the class to achieve. Separately from that each child has their own targets for the half term which are specific and measuarable. At the start of the next half term they check the targets and set new ones if they've been achieved.
I think this is the norm in state primaries as they're so results driven.
If your DS is working at the same level as his peers, they can't say he's not. If it's entirely due to interventions at home and you want them to be stepping up to help him at school, they would have to be able to see that he's falling behind ITSWIM.

amunt Wed 08-Feb-17 09:50:57

I want them to show that in a given lesson or period of time ds learns the same as his peers, which is what they testified - the judge didn't believe them as I had evidence for what he had learnt with me and they couldn't produce any themselves. Also, our EP lesson obs showed he had not learnt anything. The problem with things like IEPs is that they are about learning in general, not what has been learnt in school. So I'm thinking more in terms of specifics, e.g. number bonds to 20, which are easy to check. I wouldn't have a problem if it were a case of him needing just a bit of extra help at home, but it's more anything not taught at home is not learnt. I also don't have a problem with their teaching, it's just that ds needs a specific approach to support. His learning skills are improving and he'll get there one day. In the meantime I want a system that clearly shows where his learning is taking place so that overall progress is not a green light to removing support.

amunt Wed 08-Feb-17 09:52:34

Sorry, cross over post Melawati. Thanks that's useful.

Melawati Wed 08-Feb-17 09:58:52

I think then you may temporarily have to reduce support at home (perhaps just in one curriculum area and where it is most easy to measure, so maths would be a good choice) so it would be clearer to school whether or not their approach/support method is effective.

Userone1 Wed 08-Feb-17 10:06:38

Ask for specifics to be addressed in IEP i.e. Number bonds to 20 is the target. Then progress to be monitored termly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now