Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Who to push wheelchair?

(5 Posts)
Marmitemadmummy Sun 05-Feb-17 21:43:01

Hi, my DD has a heart condition and uses a wheelchair outside if walking any distance but not daily and not in school. After a few years battle I do not have to go on school trips anymore they understand that they should provide my DD with support on trips. I work full time so cannot go on every trip (and why should I?!). However the last trip they went on a parent volunteer looked after my DD. I was thinking it should be a TA? Need some advice as there is another trip this week. My DD has had panic attacks and previously had seizures (possibly febrile or epilepsy) at school. School say they have no funding for DD. Many thanks.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 06-Feb-17 08:27:57

Have the school applied for funding for her?

There is high needs funding available. Some authorities would wat them to apply for an EHCP but some would provide it without.

The school have a responsibility to meet her needs and a duty of care to keep her safe. If they cant do this within the limitations of their budget they need to contact the LA!

Good luck flowers

NoHaudinMaWheest Mon 06-Feb-17 14:58:17

School needs to apply for funding for her if they haven't got a TA available.
It can be put in place quickly if you push hard enough.
Does she have an EHCP? If not starting the process to apply for one yourself will focus minds I have found.
(I was in a similar position a few years ago when dd became unable to self propel her wheelchair. There was some proposal that another student should do it. I took steps like those I and Ineed have outlined above and she got the TA support for as long as she needed it through LA top up funding.)

Megatherium Mon 06-Feb-17 18:55:07

The school should have a risk assessment and policy in place, and it sounds as if it should include provision for someone to be on school trips who is able to deal with her medical problems. They should also have a medical care plan. Check the government guidance on provision for children in school with medical needs.

Marmitemadmummy Mon 06-Feb-17 19:45:29

Thank you all. The school have now said they will get a TA to assist this week. I'll follow up on the funding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: