Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

WATCH CHANNEL 4 NOW..........................A SN HOTEL.....................

(14 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Mon 26-Feb-07 21:02:25

RTKangaMummy Mon 26-Feb-07 21:06:55

here is a link

nikkie Mon 26-Feb-07 21:21:05

Am Watching

Blossomhill Mon 26-Feb-07 22:14:05

Actually got emotional watching this.
If only there were more places like it!

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 22:17:07

what an excellent project, really, utterly worthwhile and A Good Thing. and a good docu as well.

Pixel Mon 26-Feb-07 22:18:35

It's fantastic isn't it? I loved the graduation ceremony when the students were all so proud and full of confidence. I loved Tom too. I think he's what's known as eccentric .

We're going to Minehead in may. Do you think it's too early to put ds's name down? .

nikkie Mon 26-Feb-07 22:49:11

Sophie really reminded me of a lass I used to work with

TeeCee Tue 27-Feb-07 13:57:41

Wasn't it great. Made me and D really, really laugh in a wonderful happy way. I loved the unbridled enthusiasm. Made me cry too as any glimpse into the future like that makes me fear for DD1 and hope her speech is ok and hope she finds love and hope she's happy and can be as independant as she'd liket o be etc etc.

Marina Tue 27-Feb-07 21:18:35

I missed the beginning - did they explain how this fabulous place came to be set up? What an inspiring and fascinating hour of TV and what great young people

Pixel Tue 27-Feb-07 22:22:22

They didn't really explain on the programme how it was set up but there was a piece in one of the sunday papers about it. One of the ladies had a background in hotels (including Savoy) but in her 40s moved into elderly care. She enjoyed the care but couldn't cope with people dying and wanted to do something that involved helping people to improve their lives. The idea for Foxes was born when she came across a tiny cafe in a college in Bridgewater that was staffed by people with learning difficulties, "I peeped into the kitchen and saw all these people with Down's syndrome running around with knives. It looked like utter chaos but the seed was planted". She and her friend discussed it in the pub and decided as they'd both recently divorced they should do something different. They found Foxes (open but a dilapidated heap), sold everything they owned and borrowed money from their families. The next three years they spent renovating the hotel as well as doing courses on social care management and a Mencap course and presenting their plan to social services. They staffed the hotel with people who were qualified in hotel work but also willing to be tutors. They will only take students who will truly benefit from the course so they have a week-long assessment where they have to demonstrate communication skills, literacy, numeracy and a willingness to learn.

mulsey Tue 27-Feb-07 23:13:00

Maybe Im tooooooo sensitive, but am I the only person who was annoyed at the fact it was called the Strangest Hotel in Britian! I dont think that this title helped the cause in anyway......
There was nothing strange about the place or the people, it was a wonderful teaching environment.

Marina Tue 27-Feb-07 23:17:11

I thought strange was an inappropriate word too I'd sooner apply it to some people's idea of a boutique hotel in a former warehouse or whatever
thanks for that Pixel.

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Tue 27-Feb-07 23:43:03

totally, mulsey. it was a shit title. actually i also thought that the advert pushed the 'weird' line too much. it was a lovely hotel i thought, not strange at all.

sphil Wed 28-Feb-07 09:37:42

Am SO fed up I missed this! Does anyone know if it's repeated?

Dh has an idea about starting up a campsite run on the same lines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now