Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

moving to UK, ADS provisions

(9 Posts)
kalantary Sat 28-Jan-17 11:22:20

Hi everyone
We will be moving to the UK in the next few months. I have a 4.5 year old daughter with moderate ASD. She only says a few sentences and her understanding of language is less than her two year old sister, makes fleeting eye contact and has complex if not severe sensory processing difficulties. She has good motor skills and IQ. She was diagnosed two years ago and have been on an ABA programme for the last year.
I read online about the EHC plan and what it should include, and I read a lot of special schools' websites and I was so happy about the move until I read here on mumsnet and some other forums about a lot of parents who were not satisfied with the provisions they've been offered by their LA. Some of them couldn't get funding for ABA. Some couldn't even get a plan. So here are my questions:
How often do children with moderate to severe ASD grow up to be fully independent by just attending state schools and not spending any private money on treatment?
Can I count on the professionals the LA will consult to thoroughly and accurately assess my child or do I have to have detailed reports from her current OTs and psychologists translated and ready? And would those even hold any weight not having been done in the UK?
I have in mind a few schools that I think would be suitable for my daughter. They are in different LAs. Also we'll be living in a temporary residence in another LA when we first arrive in London. So which LA do I contact? Or do I contact the schools first and if they have a place for my daughter then contact that LA?
I'm not particularly a fan of ABA for it has been as stressful for my daughter as it's been beneficial. Why do some parents want ABA and why won't LAs fund it? I understand they use intensive interaction in maintained special schools to teach basic communication skills. I'm familiar with son-rise and floor-time but not intensive interaction. how good is it?
how long do you think it will take until my daughter has an EHC plan and is in school?

I'm sorry if this post is too long. It's been hard putting together her current treatment programme and now it looks like it's gonna be another stressful fight and I'm losing my mind. If anyone can answer any of my questions I'd be very grateful.

DollyKoo Sat 28-Jan-17 11:33:39

Only a small start, but a few answers:

I would translate key documents you have

You can only apply/ deal with an LA you currently reside in

I would google the SEN team of wherever you move to and go from there. It's so difficult to answer, from your info I've met children in special school, resources units and mainstream with support. The LA you will live in is a big factor (for example my friend moved from an LA where her daughter was in special nursery/ reception to one who said she wasn't of compulsory school age and refused to even give her a place or funding anywhere! Her mum had to resign)

kalantary Sat 28-Jan-17 14:59:00

thank you DollyKoo for your reply.
I'll get our documents translated.
OK, so how do I find out which LAs would be more accommodating?

coffeemachine Sat 28-Jan-17 20:19:59

ABA is expensive. that's why you won't usually get it funded (unless you have the means to mount an appeal which is expensive and long winded and exhausting).

My DD has severe ASD. Very delayed language and mod-severe learning diffs on top.

We see the SALT 3 times annually. No OT input (funding cuts). Other than that she is in Ms with 1:1 support. She would be be better of in a SS but there are no places locally and I don't have the energy to go to tribunal. Our situation is pretty standard I believe.

TBH, Asd provision in the UK is not great. Everything is a battle for us. I would think carefully about moving over if you come from a place where good support is provided.

coffeemachine Sat 28-Jan-17 20:23:25

Also, the LA you are moving to will be responsible for your Dd's education and funding. So I'd contact them first. Our LA doesn't routinely fund places in neighbouring LAs but every LA is different.

coffeemachine Sat 28-Jan-17 20:24:39

EHCP take 20 weeks provided all goes smooth.

maryka Sun 29-Jan-17 12:17:52

Thank you coffeemachine.
The support your daughter gets is not nearly enough! What is their argument? that your child doesn't need more support or that they don't have funding for it? because if it's the first I'll get as many reports as I can from different professionals.
well now I feel hopeless! what am i gonna do!? if we decide to go to tribunal how much will it cost us? and how long will it take?

coffeemachine Sun 29-Jan-17 17:35:28

not sure about other LAs (we are not in London) but want we get is pretty standard in the UK I find.

Tribunal varies. depends how much resistance you get from the LA and what you are battling for. Often you need your own reports done (EP, SALT etc) and witnesses for the day. I know families who did it in a shoe string budget and represented themselves. I glass have friends who paid in excess of £20k for an ABA tribunal but won a programme that is worth so much more than the initial cost.

But in general, everything boils down to cost.

We have a Facebook parent support group for our LA. Can you figure out if there is something similar for the LA you intend to move into? You may get more specific answers there as to how this LA would handle things.

Oh,and once you are here you can/should apply for DLA. If your DD gets at least middle rare care, you would also qualify for carers allowance (£62/week) provides you don't work or don't earn in excess of £110/week. It's not a lot but it helps.

maryka Mon 30-Jan-17 21:24:13

Thank you for all the information. I'll try to find a support group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now