Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Disability Discrimination

(6 Posts)
jenk1 Sat 24-Feb-07 23:48:53

DS has had his SALT cancelled because "As he,s not in school there,s nothing we can offer"

We were advised that the proposed statement offered by the lea is a good one and that if DS was in a mainstream school then he could ask for "chill out time" from his 1-2-1 when he,s feeling stressed.

Oh right i said, this is a boy who hasnt been to school for getting on to 18 months because of his ASD/severe anxiety and years of bullying who couldnt tell his parents that he was being bullied so how do you expect him to say "erm excuse me i need chill out time"?

I was sooooooo angry.

I think they are discriminating against him, he isnt in school due to his disability-ASD and they are refusing to give him SALT because he is out of school, surely they can come to our house to do it though?

macwoozy Sun 25-Feb-07 12:12:29

Have they told you what sort of help he'd get? My ds gets 2 x weekly sessions to help with his emotions which is done 1-1, but also joins a social skills group where he benefits from working with other children as well. Could it be that they planned to involve other children in his therapy to help him with his social skills?

jenk1 Sun 25-Feb-07 15:49:41

no, they didnt tell me anything, they just said there was nothing they could offer because he wasnt in school.

Blossomhill Sun 25-Feb-07 16:02:20

I think Jenk that if it was for social skills then he would need other children to do it with iykwim

How about if he went to the clinic to get it? I know they run out of school groups there.

jenk1 Sun 25-Feb-07 17:50:51

oh yes i realise that he needs a group for social skills, but surely they could work on other things with him in the meantime, like emotions, expressions etc, things that he could do in clinic or home?

They havent offered any out of school groups, nothing.

To leave him with nothing is wrong, its just that we,ve waited so long for an appointment, i cant except that there is nothing that they can do with a 10 year old who is so anxious due to ASD, lack of communication etc.

Socci Sun 25-Feb-07 18:07:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now