Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dla help

(11 Posts)
hampshiremummy Tue 24-Jan-17 09:53:21

I'm trying to get dla for my 7 year old daughter, her sister, 10, is undiagnosed aspie, but as we're homeschooling we get no help from anyone, camhs said there's nothing much they can offer homeschoolers and she thought I was doing everything they would suggest in terms of coping stratagies. So i've never bothered taking my 7 year old to see anyone for her issues. She has similar problems to her sister, but much higher anxiety, she's been having panic attacks which I can now recognise before they get too bad.
So the problem i've got is having no outside bodies to add to back up my claim. I've made an appointment at the doctor, but is there anyone else we could see, even privately to write a letter or refer all to list?

DollyKoo Tue 24-Jan-17 14:10:18

Even if they can't offer much try camhs again? Services and people change all the time, even different doctors widely vary.

One of ours writes supportive letters about home ed!

JsOtherHalf Tue 24-Jan-17 15:56:43

Does this help?

zzzzz Tue 24-Jan-17 21:29:34

A 7 year old having panic attacks and displaying unusual neurological development should see a Dr.
Ask to be referred to a paediatrician.

lougle Tue 24-Jan-17 21:33:21

Yes, tbh, the DLA would be the last thing on my list, sorry. A referral to a developmental paediatrician would be a good first step. Depending on where you are, if you're near Winchester, either Dr Whittlingum or Dr Ferris would be good people to be referred to. Dr W has a special interest in neurodisability.

hampshiremummy Tue 24-Jan-17 21:54:31

I went to see the doctor today, she suggested I Google barnardos the charity because they offer suggestions about how to deal with children behavior problems, she said she thought 7 was too young to refer to camhs, and couldn't think of much else she could do. :-(

zzzzz Tue 24-Jan-17 21:58:07

Find a new GP

lougle Tue 24-Jan-17 22:04:50

You can self refer to CAMHS in Hampshire. You'll be able to find the form online. You'll even be able to give them a call and they'll chat through the process.

hampshiremummy Thu 26-Jan-17 14:56:05

Thankyou lougle, I didn't know that was possible, I thought it had to be a doctor, i'll look into it. :-)

youarenotkiddingme Sat 28-Jan-17 10:29:47

I was going to say you can self refer in Hampshire too! Also you can self refer to SALT and OT who will also pick up on any asd type behaviours and can refer or recommend camhs involvement.

If your happy to say where about in Hants (pm if you want) I may be able to help further with numbers and who to contact etc.

user1489269570 Sat 29-Jul-17 11:27:17

Is anyone receiving dla becasue of their child who has very bad speech problems? And their behaviour is unpredictable... for example, running in the road without knowing danger? If so did they refuse it the first time? Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: