Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ehcp independe school

(10 Posts)
2munchkins Sun 22-Jan-17 21:50:36

My dc has been offered a place at an independent mainstream school who have requested an ehcp in place for a TA. Has anyone had experience of whether it is possible to get a TA paid for by LA if we pay school fees. Our child is currently going through process of application for ehcp in State school.

Megatherium Sun 22-Jan-17 23:41:46

There's a lot that needs to happen before this becomes relevant. First the LA needs to agree to the EHCP, which isn't inevitable - you may have to appeal if they refuse. If they do agree the EHCP, the question will then be whether they agree that your son needs a TA.

Technically if you choose to place your child in an independent school the LA doesn't have to do anything beyond satisfying itself that the school will meet your child's SEN. They might just be prepared to do a deal whereby they pay for the TA in recognition of the fact that they're saving a lot of money in terms of the school placement, but there are no guarantees.

Frogandbear Mon 23-Jan-17 09:45:25

2munchkins Yes, this is indeed possible. Also, as the school suggested it, it sounds like they have had experience of the process before, maybe with another pupil.

As usual, when naming a school on an EHCP, you will have to explain why this particular school can meet your child's needs better than any other local school. Technically the LA would be saving money if you pay the school fees, but it's not always that simple.

May I ask why you feel this particular school is more appropriate for your child? Apart from the obvious, small class sizes, etc?

2munchkins Mon 23-Jan-17 16:34:44

Frogandbear I think the school may have had experience before but not recently and not sure they understand the funding. I am wondering how the personal budgets work whether we can request that for TA support if succeed with plan.The school has outstanding pastoral care and a reputation for being very nuturing, plus single sex and obviously small classes.

tartanterror Mon 23-Jan-17 20:11:28

Look at the IPSEA website and book a telephone call back/consultation. They should be able to help. I went on one of their foundation courses and I'm sure they mentioned that this was possible at the discretion of the LA.

What stage are you at with the EHC process? Have the LA agreed to assess? Who applied?

Usernamealreadyexists Mon 23-Jan-17 20:43:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Usernamealreadyexists Mon 23-Jan-17 20:44:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2munchkins Mon 23-Jan-17 20:49:00

tartanterro - many thanks for suggesting IPSEA - is it totally confidential. I don't really want to be giving out names of child etc The application has been submitted waiting to hear re assessment.

Usernamealreadyexists - good to know it is possible - I wonder what the main criteria were.

tartanterror Mon 23-Jan-17 21:05:44

I think I had to give personal details but it is a confidential service run by an independent charity

Usernamealreadyexists Mon 23-Jan-17 21:11:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: