Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aba before a diagnosis

(9 Posts)
Heytheredelilah1987 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:18:29

My son is 2 and undergoing diagnosis for Autism- which several professionals think he has. I've been doing a lot of research on ABA and I know a therapist who has offered to come and do some work with us- nothing too strenuous and it's not something I'd commit to if I didn't feel it was right.

My only concern is as DS hasn't been diagnosed is this wrong ? I've heard such mixed things about ABA I'm a bit apprehensive to try it out but at the same time I know my son has autism and I also know the waiting lists for any sort of help are pitiful... I just want to try some things out for him that may benefit him in the long run whilst we wait for this diagnosis and subsequent support. What do you knowledgeable bunch think?

WellTidy Mon 23-Jan-17 15:12:04

We do ABA with Ds2. He is 4.8yo now and we started when he was 3.4yo. He didn't have a diagnosis then (He was diagnosed at 3.8yo) but we were fairly sure he had ASD. He had no spoken language and was very developmentally delayed, poor understanding etc.

ABA teaches skills that children do not yet have. So even if your DS doesn't have ASD, he will learn new skills through ABA, which can only be a good thing imo.

I can only say that our experience of ABA has been very positive indeed. I don't regret for one second starting it. DS has learned loads and loads. He still has huge difficulties, but I cant imagine where we would be now without ABA.

Heytheredelilah1987 Mon 23-Jan-17 15:45:22

Thanks welltidy, so pleased this has worked for you. Very promising!

coffeemachine Mon 23-Jan-17 17:59:19

ABA is not only for ASD but for everyone really. Only, often children with ASD learn better through ABA than any other method.

you certainly won't do harm if you start now.

Heytheredelilah1987 Mon 23-Jan-17 18:24:23

Oh coffee I didn't realise that. Ok I'll give it a go.

The things we are using it for ( sorry forgot welltidy!) Are mainly his behaviour that challenges : biting himself and others and throwing at people and things.

LadyDowagerHatt Thu 02-Feb-17 13:16:49

Definitely go for it! We started a few weeks ago with my DD who is globally developmentally delayed but definitely not ASD (seems to be more of a learning disability in her case) and it has been fantastic. For us it's been a lot about breaking the task down into its components, teaching those and then building it back up again, with lots of praise and rewards. Plus working on speech, mainly requesting as my daughter did lots of labelling but very little requesting - that has been successful and has reduced hers and our frustration no end. Good luck with it!

Heytheredelilah1987 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:31:17

Thanks lady! We start it next week! I'm super excited to get going with it as feel at my wits end with my sons behaviour as of late. It's not his fault obviously.

Kikismum98 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:09:57

Are you doing the sessions yourself or have you got therapists coming in. We have one therapist at the moment but struggling to find a second one despite advertising almost every where

Heytheredelilah1987 Sun 05-Feb-17 16:12:08

Kiki we have a therapist coming to show us and then we will do it ourselves due to the cost. The lady is actually doing it for free too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now