Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School have taken Dd off the Sen list- should they have?

(14 Posts)
Waitingforsleep Sat 21-Jan-17 20:13:16

Dd has been on the Sen list for three years but they have taken her off.
Not sure if I wanted this?!
Dd has anxiety is at camhs who are looking at other things such as sensory processing and add
Has hyper
Mobility and dysgraphia ...
However is on target with learning.

Everyone I ring I. This area do not have advice on this can anyone help?

PolterGoose Sat 21-Jan-17 20:28:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waitingforsleep Sat 21-Jan-17 20:33:08

Well I'm not sure really. She needs specialist help for her working memory, spelling and dysgraphia but she doesn't get any intervention work extra to the other children so I feel she should do surely?

Waitingforsleep Sat 21-Jan-17 20:33:56

The problems she has with these thing make her anxious too

PolterGoose Sat 21-Jan-17 20:35:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sat 21-Jan-17 21:15:01

I had no idea "the list" was a real thing [clueless]. I have three children who have needed extra support of one sort or another and to be honest I don't really care who's on what list. What I DO care about is that they get the help they need to do the best they can.

Work out the support she needs and ask for it pointedly. Anything else is a waste of time.

tartanterror Sat 21-Jan-17 22:52:53

SEN Law covers 4 areas of "need".
- Communication and interaction.
- Cognition and learning.
- Social, emotional and mental health.
- Sensory and/or physical.

It sounds like your DD might be ok with the Cognitive & Learning one (although if ASD there are differences in learning style which should probably be accommodated esp as she gets older/work demands increase) but the school should not ignore the other areas just because she is at/above average targets for academic work.

If you are with CAMHS ask them to write a letter to you to outline the required support that they think should be in place at school. You can then take it to the SENCO and ask for it to be put in place.

I'd also be upset about being removed from the school's SEN register. It suggests they don't understand your DD or her needs well at all. You may have to seek out referrals at SALT/OT to get reports that describe her needs to help move things along at school.

F1ipFlopFrus Sun 22-Jan-17 15:40:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waitingforsleep Sun 22-Jan-17 22:07:40

The Sen we have diagnosed is dysgraphia and hyper mobility and anxiety at present. Awaiting more assessments for anything else.
Is this still regarded as Sen?
I thought the list meant Dd would then have to have interventions and now feel as she is off it that they are just treating her the same as the others. She does need more help through the difficulties although I have to say she goes to a lovely school where they do a lot of work with children in groups for anxiety and learn through a multi sensory approach which is why they have said she is off the list as they do things already.
I feel she still needs further help, in fact I am paying a tutor specialised in dysgraphia and dyslexia to help as she is getting anxious with work..

Ineedmorepatience Sun 22-Jan-17 22:41:59

No they shouldnt have taken her off the SEN register unless her SEN has vanished!

Ineedmorepatience Sun 22-Jan-17 22:43:50

Download the SEND code of practice 2015 and have a read about SEN support and the other relevant sections.

Waitingforsleep Mon 23-Jan-17 14:56:48

Thanks will read more, just more battles!!

tartanterror Mon 23-Jan-17 20:17:58

is why they have said she is off the list as they do things already

Good grief! If they think she needs help and are "doing things" that should be recorded with targets on her IEP or provision map or whatever they call it. If they think she has SEN which needs help then they are legally required to have her on the school's SEN Register.

Dysgraphia (alongside dyslexia and dyspraxia) are called "Specific Learning Difficulties" and are SEN. Dysgraphia is officially referred to as Specific Learning Difficulty with Written Expression.

Waitingforsleep Mon 23-Jan-17 22:01:45

Thanks am going to get my facts together and follow this up. Not happy. Dd is increasingly getting stressed about going to school just so fed up with lack of support at every turn sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: