Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autistic child and term time holiday

(6 Posts)
Shootingstar2289 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:25:19

Hi all, I have a five year old son with ASD and an 18 month old daughter.

We have never really took many holidays but have been thinking about a short break, not too far away from our home in Cornwall this year.

My son is in year 1 at school and I'm aware that children shouldn't have time off for holidays other than in exceptional circumstances. There is no way that I would take him on holiday during the school holidays as it will be too busy. He doesn't react well in busy places and struggles with queueing etc. What's the likelihood of him being allowed time off during the school term?

His attendance is near perfect. I'm only thinking of a weekend break so perhaps a Friday to Monday meaning that he would only need two days off.

Anyone else been in this situation?

How much is the fine? Maybe we will just pay it so we can enjoy a quiet term time break?

coffeemachine Thu 19-Jan-17 17:51:35

in my LA you need to have a full week of unauthorised absences to get a fine. It usually mentions the council policy on the council website but with only 1 or 2 days off, I would not expect a fine.

it is usually £60 per child per parent.

Shootingstar2289 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:53:39

Great thanks. I will ask at the school tomorrow. I know little about it. Taking the fine for one child would probably still be cheaper than a holidays out of term time! Crazy!

JsOtherHalf Fri 20-Jan-17 13:40:41

Many families with a child on the autistic spectrum take term time holidays as it's so much quieter.
A local charity will only award term time holidays partly for that reason ( usually a mobile home on a seaside site).

Do you have any support from social care? If so get them to write you a supporting letter. It might not work, but worth a try.

Shootingstar2289 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:51:36

Thank you JsOtherHalf.

No support from social care, no. I haven't had chance to speak to the school yet. Is it up to the head? As we have great communication with the school, I hope she understands.

Holidays in the school holidays would simply not be an option. We live in Cornwall which is insanely busy during the holidays and we cannot even go out very far during these times to the supermarket or even the beach!

EggysMom Sat 28-Jan-17 21:20:19

Our son is at an ASD-specific school. We write to the school each year and explain how taking a holiday during term-time suits our son better. It's been authorised for the last three years ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now