Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help!!! School places and LA's

(5 Posts)
Blondie457 Sun 08-Jan-17 03:18:38

Hi everyone,

Desperately seeking some advice. My son has a statement and has recently received an offer for his place at secondary school- our first choice too!!

He moves schools in September (from year 6 to 7).

My current situation at home has changed and I am looking at moving- not far but it is into a different council area (LA).

Will my son lose his place? I'm desperate to keep it- I don't mind loosing the transport and taking him to school myself.

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

coffeemachine Sun 08-Jan-17 07:00:51

when are you moving?

ultimately, if you move LA the new LA is responsible for his eduction and funding and may/will reassess and may change the setting esp if the secondary is an expensive special school placement.

I know people who lost places that way.

Blondie457 Sun 08-Jan-17 07:20:49

I was planning on moving before he starts in September. I wasn't sure if his place would be safe as long as I am happy to loose the transport.

All of his friends are going and it's so important to keep good social connections with his ASD needs sad it's just my circumstances have changed. Feeling so anxious and worried about everything.

zzzzz Sun 08-Jan-17 11:25:34

Phone the LA and ask them.

JsOtherHalf Mon 09-Jan-17 14:15:48

If there is any way you can stay in the same LA, then do it.

Are there any other children with EHCPs from the new authority at that school?
Even if he does start there in September, every time there will an EHCP review you could risk losing the place.

I know someone who moved down the same road, into a different LA, and her DC had to move special schools, new assessment for respite/summer schemes, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now