Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I don't know what to do with ds

(3 Posts)
GoldenOrb Thu 05-Jan-17 20:25:05

I apologise for the way this might be worded.

I am in floods of tears about ds. He has exhibited asd traits for a long time. Years. I suppose I've mostly ignored them, minimised them, they haven't been that severe and they haven't really troubled him.

I feel like 2 weeks ago I had a normal little boy. Today I don't know how to cope with the changes that he has displayed that feel irreversible.

He hasn't walked on the floor in my house since Christmas incase he gets glitter (from the wrapping paper) on his feet. I have hoovered the house again and again and again, but he still worries about it. There is nowhere safe for him to go, or for him to put his things. I knew tonight would be bad because when I picked him up from school today he told me they changed his pe day to today and he had pe in the hall and there was glitter on the floor.

He is sad, upset, angry, defiant, badly behaved, rude to me, rough with his siblings, tries to hurt himself. I had to walk away from him tonight as I tried to brush his teeth and he was doing things with his mouth that made it impossible.

I feel like 2 weeks ago everything was alright and now I am constantly walking on eggshells and trying to help him from losing it like he has done a handful of times before.

I know he is still the same little boy that he was 2 weeks ago and I know that I love him all the same but my goodness this is hard. We have been referred to paediatrics but I would imagine that will take a while, and in the meantime I have no idea how to cope with this.

Sorry for the outpouring. I can hear him in his room telling his brain to stop. I wish I could help him more but I don't know how, and very often he doesn't let me.

tartanterror Thu 05-Jan-17 21:25:54

Sorry I have no experience but didn't want your post to go unanswered. That sounds tough for both of you. If he doesn't sound happy it may be more towards OCD than ASD rituals? It might be worth looking at this book

GoldenOrb Thu 05-Jan-17 21:55:41

Yes you are right, it could be ocd. I have issues with ocd so it wouldn't surprise me if it was that. Thanks for the book recommendation. Anything is worth a try at this point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now