Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Waiting to be annoyed

(9 Posts)
zzzzz Thu 05-Jan-17 14:02:06

Today is the dentist. When we are at the dentist he will give me the food lecture. He will tell ds not to drink so many fizzy drinks and eat so many sweets. I will tell him again that DS doesn't eat sweets or fizzy drinks that he is autistic and has a very restricted diet. He will probe through the diet until he discovers raisins, milk, and biscuits are on the list. He will then tell me stop or reduce massively the amount of milk biscuits and raisins ds eats.....

And I will gaze at him and wonder how he became a SN dentist and how to explain that following his advice would mean that DS lost a huge percentage of his calorie intake....

I'm SO TIRED OF IT.

The ground hog day of ignorance and endless put downs.

I have drunk tea. I have talked of other things. I have eaten sweet food and cuddled a sweet child. Perhaps I won't be annoyed, perhaps I will just cry snottily and embarrassingly and pelt him with raisins.

Borka Thu 05-Jan-17 14:58:59

I sympathise, it's so frustrating. Dentists seem only to be able to see TEETH and not the fact that there's actually a person attached.

I always get lectured on the importance of spitting out toothpaste by our dentist. When I tell her DS physically can't spit out the toothpaste, she turns to him and says sweetly 'It's very important that you spit out the toothpaste'. Of course, why didn't I think of just telling him to do things he can't do.

I hope it goes better than expected.

imip Thu 05-Jan-17 15:03:15

Crikey, I get told NOT to spit out toothpaste. It helps with sensitivities.

I had one dentist question how much fizzy drinks I gave my dc -um, none. I swapped dentists and dd sees a lovely one who does not question anything. She has cavities because she refuses to brush her teeth. It has gotten better over the years but he sees her every three months and is entirely sympathetic with the difficulties of getting dd to brush her teeth.

He suggests eating cheese or ice cream for pudding because of the calcium content if we can't do a good brush!

PolterGoose Thu 05-Jan-17 15:04:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Thu 05-Jan-17 17:31:35

Apologies. That was a real winge. It is done, and was better than expected. (Which wasn't hard grin)

I have had a gut full of twattery this month.

PolterGoose Thu 05-Jan-17 17:57:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pannetone Thu 05-Jan-17 21:38:28

Same experience here zzzzz with a SN!! dentist. And I had finally got DD there sitting in the chair after a no-show for the previous appointment when I hadn't managed to get DD out of the house. (That earned me a ticking off from the practice manager no less because I was wasting valuable staff time angry )

Getting the food lecture was a surreal experience - I let it wash over me as I realised there was no way I was going to get the dentist to understand I was pleased DD drank 'pink milk', eats one particular brand of chocolate mini roll, and will sometimes eat fromage frais. Oh and we put DD's melatonin in raisins and there is the daily choc treat for taking her medication.

BUT it does annoy me that i'll no doubt have to listen to it again next time.

youarenotkiddingme Thu 05-Jan-17 22:10:01

Glad it wasn't as bad as expected.

Maybe we should all adopt that fact. Expect complete fuck witter you and twaterey and to be reduced to tears - and it can only be better!

zzzzz Fri 06-Jan-17 10:31:43

You all make this so much easier. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now