Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Chronic diarrhoea

(12 Posts)
lauryloo Mon 02-Jan-17 22:22:33

My 18 month old has had chronic or toddlers diarrhoea for a few months now.

Has anyone else experienced this? Please tell me that the Google estimate that it can last to 4 isn't going to happen!

She has a chromosome deletion and this isn't a known side effect.

Also using cloth nappies and she's pooed 10 times today

zzzzz Tue 03-Jan-17 00:30:01

That sounds awful. What has the GP suggested?

lauryloo Tue 03-Jan-17 08:31:54

The gp I saw didn't have a clue and didn't think it was an issue. How can pooing constantly not be an issue?

I'm going to see a different gp this week hopefully if I can get an appointment.

Allthewaves Tue 03-Jan-17 09:28:46

Could she be constipated and your seeing overflow?

zzzzz Tue 03-Jan-17 10:58:20

A HP thought 2 months of diarrhoea was nothing to worry about ??? shock. Most children would be dehydrated and extraordinarily ill, and possibly in hospital.

Reading the second post are you talking about frequency?

MaterofDragons Tue 03-Jan-17 11:09:51

Anything added to her diet that you can trace back to when it started?

My DT1 has an intolerance to mango which gave him diarrhoea. I now think it was the sugar content but don't want to challenge him with it again.

Ineedmorepatience Tue 03-Jan-17 11:42:42

My GP thought the same 27 yrs ago with my Dd1! Turned out she was dairy intolerant!

His response when I told him I suspected this was "Milk is good for babies" hmmconfused

zzzzz Tue 03-Jan-17 12:00:23

His response when I told him I suspected this was "Milk is good for babies"

shockshock Good Lord!

Mango is used as a laxative where I come from so I can imagine is very dynamic on a sensitive stomach.

Do you think it is an intolerance op, or something else?

frazzledbutcalm Tue 03-Jan-17 13:19:32

I'd suspect some kind of allergy/intolerance.

Ds2 had constant watery diarrhoea for 2 weeks when he was 6 weeks old .. I suspected milk allergy due to feeding issues, gp and hv both said not possible as ds was putting weight on at a very good steady alarming rate. Turns out it was a milk allergy, he was just taking all the nutrients he needed to grow and diarrhoea the rest out. grin

Ineedmorepatience Tue 03-Jan-17 16:32:32

I know zzzzz tell me about it!

Dd1 used to swing between constipation and diarrhoea until we stopped all dairy but the worst time was when I actually introduced full milk into her diet on the advice of my HV!

Eventually she was seen by a paediatrician who asked me what I thought was causing the problem and when I said I thought it was the mild he just said, stop giving it to her then and supported me to put her on a diary free diet until she was about 8.

Now she is an adult she moderates her own diet.

Go with your instincts OP and good luck flowers

youarenotkiddingme Tue 03-Jan-17 19:34:22

how can the HP know its not related to her chromosome deletion? Have they actually done any tests on how her digestive system works? The stomach is attached to vagus nerve so if there is any sort of neuro diversity in the brain it's entirely possible they are related.

But that aside it cannot be good for her. She's possibly not absorbing the nutrients she needs. Can you track her weight via centile charts and use NICE guidelines to push for further assessment?

lauryloo Tue 03-Jan-17 22:22:48

Thanks for all the replies. I originally tonight it was overflow from constipation, but even if the poo isn't runny there is always a poo in her nappy when I change it. Ruled out dairy allergy too as she successfully did a milk challenge at 4 months old

This week has just been awful though and her little bum and parts are just red raw. Although metanium cream is easing it.

Seeing gp again early next week (different one who I know had experience in paediatrics) and I might even call her paediatrician again to see if they want to see her sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now