Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Did anyone else's toddler find today a struggle?

(9 Posts)
MollyBloomYes Sun 25-Dec-16 19:45:14

DS is 2.5. Currently waiting for paeds referral for possible autism.
I've done a lot of prep with him but today has been rough. I've struggled, he's struggled, my brothers made judgey comments (everyone's a perfect parent til they actually have kids hmm). He doesn't have much speech so can't really tell me what's wrong but there were a lot of tantrums and moaning and a couple of full blown meltdowns.

How on earth do I make things easier for him in following years? Selfishly I'm just so sad that this amazing part of being a parent is something he seems to hate so much but I'll get over it. Ultimately I'd just like to make it easier for him. He has a younger sibling so cancelling outright I suspect won't be an option!

Msqueen33 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:23:59

Our day was awful with dd 3.9 months. Screaming because we wouldn't let her hold an icecream and wander around with it despite not wanting to eat it. She's non verbal so screams the place down. I'm exhausted. My middle dd is 6 and has asd and ADHD and is now a lot better. Christmas doesn't bother her at all. Hang in there. I'm trying to keep the faith but its been an awful day and we've got to visit the bloody inlaws in a few days.

Heytheredelilah1987 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:30:23

My wee man struggled here too. We were in our own home for most of it though which helped! It's hist birthday tomorrow so more presents and seeing family etc... I can't help feel sorry for the lad ; suspected asd and ends up with a birthday the day after xmas !!! It's a lot for any wee one - but I'll try to keep it as calm and suited to him as possible.

I'm with you Molly - it's tough isn't it? But it'll get easier I believe xx

MollyBloomYes Sun 25-Dec-16 21:34:55

Oh I hope so. His understanding is pretty good for a lot of stuff so I'm hoping he does find it easier. Last year he didn't seem too bothered AND he'd just been presented with a new brother (seriously, I came home Christmas Eve!)
I just feel a bit broken tonight. Like it's becoming clearer and clearer that life is going to be a lot harder for him and it's really hurting my heart sad
But the hordes will leave tomorrow, he can play with new toys in peace and he still loves the lights on the tree so onwards and upwards! Merry Christmas all of you

Heytheredelilah1987 Sun 25-Dec-16 21:36:25

Molly my DS has good understanding too- this fills me with hope; I think it's really promising for us!

Merry Xmas to you xx

PolterGooseFat Mon 26-Dec-16 08:59:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MollyBloomYes Mon 26-Dec-16 14:29:25

Thanks Polter I'm hoping in future years I can manage the visitor side of things more or visit others so his living space isn't invaded. However we're currently living with my parents so this is tricky to manage!

Patienceandchocolate Mon 26-Dec-16 16:18:28

Congratulations on your new baby Molly. I have two boys, and they are amazing.

It has got much better for our lovely boy. He is 7 now, and I think he enjoys at least some parts of Christmas. He found all of the people and receiving gifts difficult, but he loves a good roast dinner and he has lots of new music which he is over the moon with.

Trying to get the balance right between meeting the needs of a child with ASD at Christmas while trying to give their NT sibling a lovely time that includes some traditional aspects can sometimes be hard. However, I think we managed it OK because last night DS2 aged 3 told me that he is very proud of me because I gave him a new fire engine which was exactly what he wanted.

Craftyoldhen Mon 26-Dec-16 17:56:26

My DS is having a bad time too poor kid sad

He is 3 in a couple of weeks but has limited understanding, doesn't have the first clue about Christmas, and doesnt appear interested in the slightest anyway.

He doesn't understand presents so we had to open them for him, and he didn't eat Christmas dinner with us. We've tried to keep things low key by staying at home and we're not seeing relatives until tomorrow. But he still seems a little stressed out about the whole thing, and barricaded himself in his room for a couple of hours this afternoon. Spent most of the rest of the day watching a Beatles dvd - his current obession hmm

He has an older sister (also with ASD but she has always loved christmas) so we have do the Christmas thing for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now