Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

22.5 month ASD, no communication , no speech, SALT or ABA suggestion plz

(14 Posts)
Chhalma Wed 21-Dec-16 08:30:44

My 22.5 month old boy can't say single word. He never communicate with us for his need. Doesn't point , doesn't move his eye if we point something . He has ASD.

Initially I think we need to develope his communication first. For his communication what will be best option to chose SALT or ABA or combination.

As he is only 22.5 month mostly he would not follow the instruction or understand what therapist say or do. Is it too early for SALT or ABA? don't know which one will be better for him.

Any suggestion is appricatable . Many thanks

Cakescakescakes Wed 21-Dec-16 08:31:34

Can you speak to your health visitor about a SALT referral?

Cakescakescakes Wed 21-Dec-16 08:33:29

We have done both with my son since he was 2.5 (SALT) and 4 (ABA) and they were both helpful. A speech therapist can help you look at ways to help your son communicate using pictures etc. Also are you waiting for an ASD formal diagnosis? If not then please speak to your GP or health visitor to get that in progress. There is lots of good advice on these boards too.

Sprog19 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:39:45

I would strongly recommend looking into Intensive Interaction ( alongside SALT). Has made a huge difference in motivating DS2 to speak.

catwoman0815 Wed 21-Dec-16 10:45:55

I would probably look at pecs first. Check if your local salt department is able to help. Pecs is ABA based.

zzzzz Wed 21-Dec-16 11:18:31

Can he copy?

Can he match like with like?

Chhalma Wed 21-Dec-16 11:34:31

Thank you everyone for all of ur suggestion and information.

He does not copy. Was thinking to do PECS but probably he will take from me and put in his mouth or throw or put in his dish. As he is not verbal or doesn't understand instruction. Don't know how I can help him to talk and communication.

I have got another 3 month baby and economically not strong. But want to do something good for my little boy. DO anyone have any idea I can manage ABA with supervision as it is very expensive.

Another thing need to mention we are very isolated family in the UK. No friend or family, so no interaction with anyone except I take my son to local Children center and sending nursery for 2 hrs for 3 days from this month.

I appreciate any idea and suggestion.

catwoman0815 Wed 21-Dec-16 11:58:42

dO anyone have any idea I can manage ABA with supervision as it is very expensive.

check grants (cauldwell etc) and apply for DLA. if you are on a low family income and you get at least middle rate, then also your tax credits will go up. If you are not working, you will also qualify for carers allowance (£62/week).

Another thing need to mention we are very isolated family in the UK.

have you checked local support groups for parents of children with SN? ours is brilliant and also a mine of wealth when it comes about finding about support/therapy etc.

Your local childrens centre or HV should be able to signpost you.

zzzzz Wed 21-Dec-16 11:59:24

I taught DS to copy with a drum (saucepan and spoon would work). First you copy him. (So he bangs a few times and you do the same number). Then after a while(days) try to help him copy you by holding banging first then hand over hand getting him to do it.

zzzzz Wed 21-Dec-16 12:00:00

Nb I didn't do ABA and DS is fine.

RocketBaba Wed 21-Dec-16 20:24:59

My DD was similar at that age but she blossomed. For her sound was a real interest/ love/ hate and nursery rhyme actions caught her eye nd introduced copying. Even helped potty train experimenting with the sound of pouring or dropping things in the potty (inc wee!)

Namechangeemergency Wed 21-Dec-16 20:40:21

I agree with a PP that intensive interaction is useful for young children with ASD.
Its a really good way of helping them to learn that interaction is worth while.

Do ask for a SALT referral. He is not too young.

notgivingin789 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:46:58

ABA-- I don't know. I have my concerns over it since I knew of a parent whose child did ABA and I witnessed some of their sessions.
ABA does work (though to be honest, if your gonna work with your child for 40 hours a week your going to see progress). Though her child got too reliant on having a one-one and couldn't cope in group situations. She now only does about 1 hour of ABA a day and takes her child to social groups, play dates etc.

The best therapist Is you, the parent, to be honest. Read about ways you can help you child...there's Pec courses, Makaton. Also go on this site: www.teachmetotalk.com for loads of held up tips to help your toddler. Two hours a week of speech therapy (or ABA) is not enough..you as the parents have to be doing it every single day, trying to include it in your daily living.

Chhalma Thu 22-Dec-16 01:21:00

Thanks everyone.
I am not a chatterbox , quite type lady. My husband never know how to spend time with kids. After office he just brows laptop. If my little one cries then take her.

It will be a real challenge for us .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now