Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Socks with no seams?

(15 Posts)
fluttershyby Sun 11-Dec-16 09:27:17

Hi,
My ds has not been diagnosed but he certainly has sensory issues as in doesn't like loud noises or clothing irritating him. Some mornings he can go through loads of socks saying they've got bumps in them. He can get really upset if he can't find a pair that are comfortable for him. I've recently bought him new ones but the too have bumps in them. It's always around the toe part.
Where can I get socks from that are seam free around the toes to avoid the stress in the morning (if he could he'd prefer to go sock free, not acceptable in school though). Are these even available? He's nearly 10 and a size 7. Thanks

PolterGoose Sun 11-Dec-16 10:48:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Sun 11-Dec-16 10:51:45

fluttershyby Sun 11-Dec-16 11:31:43

Thanks, I will have a look. I'm fine spending a bit more if they last and stop the stress in the mornings.

fluttershyby Sun 11-Dec-16 11:38:17

I know what you mean with expensive! 6 socks for £28.95.
Sizing wise Xl goes up to size 7, XXL from size 8. Tempted to get the larger ones so they'll last even longer but worried they'll be too big?
What size did you get for yours which lasted 6 years?

PolterGoose Sun 11-Dec-16 11:54:13

frazzledbutcalm Sun 11-Dec-16 22:55:40

Primark do some seam free socks.

Ds and I wear normal socks inside out .... don't know how it works but we don't feel the seams! Doesn't make sense but it works!

Areyoufree Mon 12-Dec-16 10:51:45

The sock shop do some nice bamboo ones, with very flat seams. My daughter will wear them most of the time.

fluttershyby Mon 12-Dec-16 11:04:17

Thanks, I will check both out when in town.

PolterGoose Mon 12-Dec-16 11:31:40

littledinaco Mon 12-Dec-16 20:33:06

Hi, I don't know if your DS would tolerate it but have you tried to desensitise his feet? You squeeze/rub/massage them-you can do this anytime but particularly immediately before putting socks on and then as soon as they are on.

My DD has SPD and particularly struggled with socks. We did this for months and months every day and noticed a big improvement. Now she is able to wear most socks no problem and we only need to rub her feet quickly after they go on and she's fine.
Previously there were only a few socks she could tolerate and like your DS hated the seams and would complain of bumps! We spent a small fortune on different socks too!

You can also buy a special sensory body brush which works to desensitise.

captaincake Fri 06-Jan-17 18:35:00

We've had some success with john lewis ones and turning ones with no pattern inside out.

SENPARENT Sat 07-Jan-17 00:25:02

My son wears sports socks. I buy them from Next as they are lovely and soft. He won't wear any other type of socks and very often takes them off as soon as he gets home although he is not as bad as he was as a child. Then he wouldn't wear socks at all in the house, and would take them off as soon as he came in from school.

Areyoufree Wed 11-Jan-17 14:43:30

Just wanted to update this - I said my daughter would wear the sock shop ones most of the time. That was until she hit a rough patch, and I figured life was too short to spend it dealing with lumpy socks tantrums every morning. I bit the bullet and bought the sensory smart ones. £30+ for 6 pairs of socks. Worth every penny. I therefore change vote to them.

Areyoufree Wed 11-Jan-17 14:43:43

*my

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now