Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do SALT departments normally run Hanen courses?

(15 Posts)
mummytosteven Thu 15-Feb-07 20:30:48

the private SALT that saw S today reckoned that Liverpool would do. sounds to good to be true. can't find any info about it on their website, which isn't a good sign...

eidsvold Thu 15-Feb-07 21:11:19

don't know about who runs the courses being here in Aus but can thoroughly recommend hanen course. We did one about 18 months old and it has been brilliant with dd1 and even dd2.

mummytosteven Thu 15-Feb-07 21:12:03

thanks eidsvold. was the course expensive?

eidsvold Thu 15-Feb-07 21:16:19

we did not have to pay ( again here in Aus) as it was provided by disability services who provide our therapy and this took the place of speech therapy for 2 terms!!

Having said that - seeing how much dd1's language and communication skills just took off I would have paid for it and know it was worth every penny.

Our dd2 is NT and she has benefitted from it as well - her language and communication skills are quite advanced for a child her age - given that she attends therapy with dd1 and has since she was born is probably another factor in that

mummytosteven Thu 15-Feb-07 21:17:15

it's meant to be free here too, but I feel that with the state of SALT in this country, I would be amazed if there is anything that good available free...

FioFio Fri 16-Feb-07 07:58:58

Message withdrawn

moondog Fri 16-Feb-07 08:29:23

Ours does.
I know many parents who have found it very useful.
(Am a salt)

Davros Fri 16-Feb-07 10:10:06

Ours would refer you to a course run locally. We have a local orgisation that does a lot of this sort of thing. It would be free.

susie40 Fri 16-Feb-07 17:28:05

Hi mummytosteven, am just about to start the Hanen course myself. I have a son 3.4 who sounds very much like yours - lots of echolalia and weird sounding speech, though he has started to make up his own sentences recently. We had the orientation session yesterday and the initial video assessment today.

mummytosteven Fri 16-Feb-07 18:29:11

thanks all! hopefully I'll be able to access one soon on the basis that HV is about to refer S for NHS Salt. Couldn't get through to anyone at the salt dept today, they were all on holiday this week!

susie - you don't do MSN at all do you? just it might be nice to bounce ideas/experiences off each other, seeing as our kids sound to be at a similar level.

mummy2aaron Fri 16-Feb-07 18:32:59

I went on the Hanen in June and it was fab. It was free and \i got it through the assesment at CDC.

mummytosteven Tue 20-Feb-07 22:09:36

still not heard back from the salt dept, maybe the child health nurse will have soms useful info tomorrow. Is there any reason not to tell the nurse tomorrow (who is doing the paperwork for S referall for SALT), that I am having a private SALT assess him and give me a programme for us to do at home while we wait for the NHS appointmetn to come through>

moondog Tue 20-Feb-07 22:12:29

It's up tp you whether you tell her or not.
Shouldn't make a difference either way.

mummytosteven Tue 20-Feb-07 22:15:16

thanks MD. I might as well tell her, as nursery know I have a private SALT in, and have been in contact with my HV, so it will look weirder if the HV finds out but not from me iyswim.

moondog Tue 20-Feb-07 22:24:30

Exactly.
Just be straight.
Better still,write a letter to head of dept. explaining you are gonig private because of waiting times.

Stuff like this is useful ammunition to fight for funding for more posts.

When people tell me they are gonig to complain about the patchy service,I say 'Please do!' which throws them a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now