Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Processing Disorder - HV Appt tomorrow. Please help :(

(6 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 21-Nov-16 13:01:16

My son was 2 in August. For months we have had issues with him which I have finally decided we need to have things looked at and on doing some reading, it seems SPD may be a possibility. I went to see our GP who said that it sounded "normal" behaviour but to see our HV as the GP cannot refer for areas such as autism etc so I called and left a message for the duty HV. When she called me back, I explained whats happening and she said she will come and see us.

I am terrified incase he does have something that isnt NT. Im terrified incase he doesnt and it's our parenting and he shape of things to come.

My husband and I, whilst we should look forward to the weekends and family times, dread it.

His major issues are nail cutting, hair cutting/washing, un/dressing, changing his nappy, washing his face. They make each morning hell. He kicks, hits, cries, screams - I feel like it sets us all up for a shit day from the get go.

We cannot take him out places that are busy - supermarkets etc as he gets very upset and distressed. He will not hold your hand, or wear reigns so we are forced to put him in the pram/trolley if we do go out.

He will not wear zip up tops - taking them off (if I manage to get them onto him) almost instantly. He is fine if wearing a jumper/sweater.

He will not try new foods and will simply push them away. He will not stay seated at the table. He doesn't sit still full stop.

He has to shut the safety gate and lounge door before we leave the house.

He hates getting his hands messy.

I'm sure there's more but god, I can't do this anymore. Please can anyone help

cjt110 Mon 21-Nov-16 14:25:46

bump

Frusso Mon 21-Nov-16 15:37:59

See another GP, he was quite frankly talking out of his arse by saying gps can't refer and it's not his role to diagnose ask for referral to community paediatrician and/or core diagnostics team, and also dietician if his eating worrys you.

cjt110 Mon 21-Nov-16 15:53:11

Frusso We are seeing our HV tomorrow so hopefully, that will be a good start. I just have no clue how this whole process starts and if we will get any answers.

LoopiusMaximus Tue 29-Nov-16 22:11:05

Hi Cjt110, I was wondering what happened at your HV apt?

CocoaX Tue 29-Nov-16 22:17:53

There is a book called The Out of Sync child. Read that and you will see it is not your parentingflowers

Here the pathway for sensory issues is paediatric occupational therapy. ASD assessment is separate. To me, it sounds like sensory issues. While it requires a lot of managing, I have found it easier as I recognised the disorder and what DS' triggers are. When he was 2, I had no idea SPD existed so while life may seem hell, you are ahead of the curve compared to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now