Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How would you deal with this?

(8 Posts)
GetOutMyCar Sat 12-Nov-16 08:35:56

DS is 3 and has just been given a provisional autism diagnosis.

Yesterday for 2 hours he was a complete nightmare. Out of nowhere he went completely manic. I've never seen anything like it. He was running round the house like he's been mainlining red bull, tipping out drawers and boxes of toys and laughing in what I can only describe as a maniacal way.

Both DH and O were at a total loss as to how to bring him back down to planet earth. All the usual techniques we used, which usually work, had no effect at all. I found myself getting really cross and had to walk away because I know it won't help. But what do I do?

Just as suddenly he seemed back to his usual self and went out to the shops with daddy.

The house was trashed.

PolterGoose Sat 12-Nov-16 09:23:40

At 3 I would bundle him up, head for nearest park/forest and let him run. Now it's happened once you can form a plan for next time. Think back to the early triggers/signs and work out when to step in.

GetOutMyCar Sat 12-Nov-16 12:29:35

I think the trigger is being tired. Earlier in the day he's as good as gold.

PolterGoose Sat 12-Nov-16 12:44:13

Then you probably need to add something to your routine to prevent the over tired mania! Ds used to watch a film every afternoon with a snack. It was a really helpful routine as it both gave him down time and have me a break wink

PolterGoose Sat 12-Nov-16 12:44:28

gave me a break

youarenotkiddingme Sun 13-Nov-16 16:25:09

I agree about working back to why. My DS was also manic when tired. It was like his hearing went and his self control went with it!

An early lunch, trip to park when everyone else was eating so it was quieter and a walk home in buggy til he fell asleep helped! Then I'd sit and have a coffee and cake at home until he woke and provided him with a snack immediately. I actually use to give the snack in buggy in front if TTTE! It have him time to come round slowly rather than bounce from sleep into mania again!

FrayedHem Sun 13-Nov-16 18:52:46

That scenario is a regular occurrence with DS3 (3.6.) in the afternoons. I do know the trigger (the afternoon school run to collect 1&2) but I can't do anything about it. So I just have to wrangle him out of the house and to school and back and then cry try and put the house back in order when we get home.

Verbena37 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:32:35

My 11 yr old HF ASD doesn't this. It's like he is a totally different child. Breaks things on purpose, chases, laughs a really strange laugh that's almost clown like and then, once exhausted, flops down crying.

That's one type of melt down he has.....then there are the rolling around on the floor, hurting himself, getting himself into tiny spaces then getting stuck, threatening to jump out the windows etc.

I know it's not helpful of me to say but at 3, at least you can pick up your DS and contain him slightly. At 11, if I tried, I would probably end up in A and E.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now