Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Perspective

(3 Posts)
Knickersinatwist36 Wed 09-Nov-16 21:08:25

Ok I know it is a bit of an open question but when you are quite far down the SEN road how do you retain perspective?

I had a school meeting where I listed in a very matter of fact way all the things that are happening at home, it is an ongoing review and I have been open about what we face, and have been open at every meeting. I was quite open an matter of fact about how violent DD can get and was at the time quite bruised and scratched and was able to show (just by means of example) that this happens regularly.

It is normal for us and it is because she is massively anxious. I avoid making her anxious and in no way blame her for the outbursts. She is so remorseful afterwards and genuinely can't help it. We are working lots with her about it and it is improving slightly.

Teachers at the meeting were shocked. Really, really shocked. Said they didn't know it was this bad (but why should they, I really don't go on about it and it's only at home and only to me). They are such lovely people and are doing everything they can for DD. I have normalised it but is that even normal to normalise this stuff.

Ferling a bit weird about it now. Am I alone in taking this in my stride?

flapjackfairy Wed 09-Nov-16 22:10:18

No we live in a parallel universe and as you say our normal is v different from others. I see it as a survival mechanism. We are living with it , cant change it and so learn to accept it and find a way to get on with it.
Dont know if that is a good thing or not but it works for me!

zzzzz Thu 10-Nov-16 06:43:29

You can't KEEP feeling "shocked" though can you? The reality for me has always been that the things other people find horrific and strange are NOT the real challenges

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now