Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Questions for ALNCO at transition to secondary review - help please

(6 Posts)
yongnian Tue 08-Nov-16 12:26:51

Hi there
Have just applied to secondary for DD (HFA/DCD/SP issues). We have a first-choice school with v selective criteria - have had convos with supportive ALNCO there, she will be invited to a transition review and am crossing fingers she gets in as much better suited.
However, although there is technically no 'feeder' school, our 2nd choice is the usual route for kids from her primary and I have a transition meeting booked tomorrow (just found out!) with their ALNCO.
For background- This school does not inspire me with confidence- no mention of SEN policy on website, when I requested a copy was told it was 'being rewritten', criticism in ESTYN report re SEN, apparently only 1-2% pupils with SEN despite having 1200 pupils. They really are a last resort. However, of course, we may not get first choice so could find ourselves there and need to get the relationship established if this becomes the case.
There are a couple of 'protective factors' that this school would offer - DDs primary cohort would mostly all be there, plus the kids she still knows from her other primary, and some other kids we know locally. I'd say she'd know around 50 kids out of the 200 who will be in year 7 with her. This will give her quite a head start in terms of confidence, settling etc. However from previous experience, if there's no robust ALN policy/effective support, DD will struggle massively as she did when unsupported in her old primary.
What questions would you be asking of ALNCO of school choice 2 tomorrow, just in case we end up there?
I was planning to ask about their new rewritten policy, about how practically they would support DD in such a big cohort with many subject teachers etc, about their experience in managing girls with HFA given their % of SEN are apparently so low...
I'm aware I'm in danger of being annoyed by them before they start, and may regret this if we end up there! But need to ask relevant questions anyway as I'm concerned about whether she'll be adequately supported if she does go there.
If you could help, TIA.

PolterGoose Tue 08-Nov-16 16:14:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yongnian Tue 08-Nov-16 16:40:32

Sorry, should have explained - it feels really 'off' (have visited already). School 1 has the exact feel you describe and the feel I'm looking for...
Specific questions about scenarios are a good idea, thanks.

PolterGoose Tue 08-Nov-16 17:00:44

PolterGoose Tue 08-Nov-16 17:02:01

yongnian Tue 08-Nov-16 18:06:11

Yes, CAMHS are going to submit supporting stuff, plus there's plenty of other evidence.
No, didn't see that, will take a look now, ta.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now