Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hmmm, spinning and toe walking?

(10 Posts)
Blossom4538 Tue 01-Nov-16 18:20:07

Evening all,

DD is being assessed for ASD. She tip toe walks quite a bit and I've noticed spinning all of a sudden. A lot of NT kids her age (5) probably spin so how do I tell if it is more of a habit - sensory/ASD related?!

Also, did u address the toe walking? It's not all the time - a LOT at home. Not right up on toes but certainly not up! Perhaps harder to notice in shoes out and about.

Msqueen33 Tue 01-Nov-16 21:02:36

On their own I wouldn't say they're indicative of asd. They are slightly sensory but stuff a lot of nt kids do aswell.

My dd has asd and toe walks. Not hugely but sometimes. An nt boy at her School toe walks all the time.

What other concerns do you have?

bialystockandbloom Tue 01-Nov-16 21:14:17

I think with things like spinning or other stereotypical/repetitive things, it can be a 'normal' thing, and quite subtle to identify as an autistic trait. Ime it's when movements like this become really repetitive or ritualistic, or when it's hard to get them to stop that it's more of a sign.

When my ds (ASD) was about 2 he used to love picking up handfuls of gravel or sand and throwing it. Ditto pouring water. Quite a typical toddler kind of thing, but I realised he'd do it for ages and ages, even if there was something else exciting which should've taken his attention away, which other children would have stopped for. It was the persistence of it, how long he'd do it for, and how engrossed he was in it to the exclusion of anything else that was more of a sign.

I don't know about toe walking - my ds has never done it but I know other kids with ASD who do. But then again some nt ones too. I suppose it might be a sensory-avoidance thing (my ds was always more sensory seeking than avoiding).

PolterGoose Tue 01-Nov-16 21:36:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Blossom4538 Tue 01-Nov-16 21:43:50

I haven't drawn attention to the toe walking and not sure whether I should mention it too her or not and try to get her to walk in her whole foot.

There are other things and she was referred for assessment. Even if not ASD, she certainly seems to have some sensory struggles/behaviour. I thought that could exist with her anxiety and selective mutism but Paed seems to think highly likely more than that going on...and didn't recognise selective mutism, spd or sid alone - said often part of ASD.

PolterGoose Tue 01-Nov-16 21:47:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJ0612 Thu 03-Nov-16 16:27:07

DD (4) toe walks - she has asd and hypermobility - also a weakness in her hips. She is having (irregular) physio appointments, they've told us to discourage the toe walking as it can affect the calves however since we started picking her up on it - she is doing it even more! She is getting an appointment for insoles as she has foot pronation too and i'm hoping this may help with the toe walking.

Blossom4538 Thu 03-Nov-16 17:15:05

This is my worry, I'm pretty sure she'll do it more! Shall I speak to GP regarding it as Paed didn't seemed particularly interested!

Blossom4538 Thu 03-Nov-16 17:15:43

Is that how we go down physio assessment route?

MrsJ0612 Thu 03-Nov-16 19:06:17

Our paediatrician referred us as DD also has an unusual gait - she has a really floppy run and is unsteady on her feet. I would have a chat with the GP and see what they suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now