Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

child dla "night needs" advice please

(16 Posts)
AndNowItsSeven Fri 28-Oct-16 16:45:48

I am not sure whether to put yes or no to my ds having night needs. He takes around 90mins to settle when he first goes to bed. He is asleep before we go to bed and does not wake " in the night" .
He does wake at 5.30 so one of us is up for 90 - 2 hours minutes before daytime starts at 7/7.30 am.
Does that count as night care as it is before the household wakes?

gingerh4ir Fri 28-Oct-16 17:26:30

I do think night needs refers to the time when the household would be typically asleep. it doesn't matter so much that he needs a long time to settle as he is asleep before the household shuts down.

But if one of you has to regularly 90-120 early as he wakes up so early needs supervision, then this should count as night time need.

gingerh4ir Fri 28-Oct-16 17:28:15

arg, last sentence is nonsense. should read:

But if one of you has to regularly get up 90-120 mina early as he wakes up so early (and I assume needs supervision and cannot be left alone), then this should count as night time need.

LyndaNotLinda Fri 28-Oct-16 17:42:21

The morning bit does but not the evening bit - I don't think they count anything that affects you before you actually go to bed. But I'd say yes and write it all down in the box - I think you have to be awake for a minimum amount of time to qualify.

Have you looked at the Cerebra guide? It might tell you there

Sirzy Fri 28-Oct-16 17:46:56

Worth putting it on. I am not sure a 5.30 start would be classed as unusual enough when compared to a "normal" child but no harm putting it on.

How old is he?

AndNowItsSeven Fri 28-Oct-16 17:52:27

He thanks everyone for the advice, he is reception age. Yes he needs constant supervision due to his asd. He loves water so can't play alone as would turn the bath on etc. He also has food issues , we do have a small high up bolt for the kitchen door but he has been known to stand on a chair to reach it so it's more dangerous to use it than not. Unsupervised he would eat until he was sick.
He can also hurt his siblings, not intentionally but he wakes them to play then doesn't understand why they are tired and don't want to do he throws toys hangers etc.
He also broke his curtain pole and wardrobe drawers during a bedroom meltdown. He is very strong for his age when he gets distressed.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 28-Oct-16 17:53:32

Yes am unsure whether 5.30 ,is that unusual I would say maybe that's normal for an under three?

seasidesally Fri 28-Oct-16 18:09:06

is this a renewal ?did you put anything before

AndNowItsSeven Fri 28-Oct-16 18:16:03

No it's a first claim.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 28-Oct-16 18:17:33

I have two older dd's with asd one has very obvious night needs, the other has no night needs so I wasn't confused with their dla forms.

Klaptout Fri 28-Oct-16 18:23:07

I'd say that he does need night time care, he needs care any time he's awake.
My DS was an early waker with a water obsession, welfare rights worker did my threes forms, he said if they woke up in the night would they still have Autism, of course they would, my three are young adults now, but they still have night time needs if they wake up, one doesn't settle until 1am at th earliest, one wakes up at 4am, other one can be up and down all night if she's anxious, excited and lots of other reasons. They all get high rate.

gingerh4ir Fri 28-Oct-16 18:26:53

If the household would still br asleep until 7 (which is not unreasonable/unusual at all), the I would expect this to fall under night care.

Also, a typical child of the same age may wake up at 5:30 too but unlike some children with SN may not require supervision. That is the crucial difference. My NT 6 year old would be safely be able to entertain herself. My other DC (Asd aged 9) cannot and needs somebody to get up with them.

MrsSam Fri 28-Oct-16 19:19:48

Same as others have said, night needs are any needs during the time a 'normal' household would be in bed. As a rough rule think bed at 11 and up at 7, all needs between those times count as night needs. DS3 often wakes when there is still a 4 on the clock and even though I get up with him (he can't be left alone) and it's normal to me now, it is still the middle of the night and counts as night needs.

Olympiathequeen Sat 29-Oct-16 19:01:46

All you can do is put down honestly what happens on the worst night, and how often this happens. I would claim on the basis of what you say as it does seem excessive.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 29-Oct-16 19:17:17

Thanks for the advice everyone.

lougle Sat 29-Oct-16 21:43:59

You need to be very clear about what is night and what is day.

The settling in the evening is a day-time care need evidence, because it occurs before your bedtime. However, the 5.00-5.30 wake up is a night-time care need evidence, because you are required to give 90-120 minutes of care when you would normally be asleep.

So you need to say '....wakes between 5.00-5.30 am and needs direct care/supervision to prevent x hazard/danger, and does not return to bed. Under normal circumstances we would sleep between 11pm and 7am. Therefore, this represents 1.5-2 hours of care each night.

That's what I did for DD1 and she has had HRC since age 3. She's now almost 11 with an award due for renewal when she's an adult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now