Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Best place to get ear defenders from?

(15 Posts)
Blossom4538 Sat 22-Oct-16 13:03:57

And do they help much? Can u hear much noise?

Thanks

PolterGoose Sat 22-Oct-16 15:12:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lostmyemailaddress Sat 22-Oct-16 15:14:31

I got a pair from eBay they cost £12 ds2 has to use them when we go out. They do seem to help as we have less meltdowns but he is still able to hear me when I talk to him.

LegoLady95 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:06:11

My son uses the Edz KIDZ ones from eBay. He relies heavily on them. I've tried them and you can still hear voices. He even has a 'wet' pair for in the swimming pool.
Good quality and nice selection of colours.

hazeyjane Sun 23-Oct-16 19:08:12

Ds prefers the ones fh got from work or the Screwfix ones. He has quite a large head and the EdKidz ones are too grippy for him.

PolterGoose Sun 23-Oct-16 19:39:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LegoLady95 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:42:24

Actually I think the tight grip is what my son likes about them. I can get the Kidz on my head but they are quite tight.

hazeyjane Sun 23-Oct-16 19:46:02

Glad its not just ds, Polter!

I think it is difficult for ds to get them on himself as well. He hasn't got a great grip, and they are very sproingy compared to the Screwfix ones that go on quite easily.

Blossom4538 Sun 23-Oct-16 20:13:45

We are having terrible public toilet issues due to hand dryers - she seemed to be making progress but now it is even in disabled toilet where there's no chance of anyone using the hand dryer. She is trying really hard to be brace. Ear defenders may help...

hazeyjane Sun 23-Oct-16 20:47:30

Ds is the same, it is a nightmare. He is also terrified of the flush, even if I promise I won't use it.

Blossom4538 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:13:34

Hazeyjane, may I ask what your little boy struggles with/is diagnosed with?

Our daughter won't flush our toilet at home because of a (quite quiet) noise it makes afterwards.

She hates automatic flushes, but hand dryers are the main issue.

hazeyjane Mon 24-Oct-16 08:45:39

He is undiagnosed, Blossom. He is under genetics and is thought to have a genetic condition, so is part of the DDD study and waiting to go into the 100,000 genome study. His issues include low muscle tone, recurrent chest problems, mobility problems, a severe expressive speech disorder (uses signing and an electronic talker), lots of sensory issues, bowel problems, and has just been referred for an autism assessment. He is also bright as a button (above average non verbal IQ) has a very funny sense of humour, and is currently obsessed with everything related to playdoh!

Blossom4538 Mon 24-Oct-16 09:47:14

💕 bless you, sounds complex - he sounds lovely. :-)

My little girl has such a lovely, funny sense of humour too that not many people get to see. She definitely has some sensory struggles, not severe but they are there - noise is probably the main one and fussy about clothes, food. Slight issues with smell/light. She tip toe walks a lot at home.

She will lick or occasionally sniff us if she sees someone she recognises or in certain social situations. LOVES soft blankets, anything soft and being barefoot, even naked!

She has anxiety, selective mutism and perhaps some motor delays. Quite intense, emotional behaviour.

hazeyjane Mon 24-Oct-16 15:34:37

Aw thankyou Blossom, he is lovely. Your girl sounds great too.

Ds is very clingy to us (has just taken 2 hours for him to get off my lap at a friends house - with my cardigan wrapped around him!), which makes everything hard work. The sensory stuff is similar to your dd - loves soft twiddly things, especially ribbons and my cardigan, hates labels and waistbands, sudden loud noises, certain smells, people touching him and lots of food things (his diet is really restricted). It just seems like the world is just too abrasive for him sometimes.

Ds sniffs me! He kind of buries his head in my neck and inhales, when he is stressed out.

How old is your dd?

I was selectively mute when I was young. I talk a lot now! But still have times when talking just makes me tired.

Blossom4538 Mon 24-Oct-16 17:42:06

Our little girl is always tired, but can be hyper too which is kind of hard to explain to people really! She is 5. Making progress on speech front at school, not so much outside of school and with family. Did you have any therapies or did it just change over time for you. Were you anxious?

Our dd is currently being assessed for ASD, add, ADHD, OCD, anxiety disorder, developmental disorders.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now