Is this bullying?

(6 Posts)
Iamthecatsmother Sun 16-Oct-16 09:47:55

Hi, my DS is 12 and has ASD, high functioning. He's just started MS secondary. He's a very anxious, gets tearful very easily. He's very sweet and naive. He is a bright lad.

He's been ok at school but he doesn't tell me much tbh. Yesterday he suddenly came out with this - three other boys have been taking the mickey out of him, things like his underwear (when getting changed for games) his glasses, his likes/obsessions. It's been going on for a few weeks. These kids are seeking him out to tease him. On the surface, I know this is bullying but could it be banter? DS is very literal, very black and white, could he be misinterpreting it? I've already had a run in with his keyworker who has told me I'm interfering so I don't want to go steaming in if DS is over reacting. I'm not very confident myself and I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker or to unwittingly make it worse.

OP’s posts: |
Ineedmorepatience Sun 16-Oct-16 10:10:04

This is off the Gov.uk page

4. Bullying - a definition
There is no legal definition of bullying.

However, it’s usually defined as behaviour that is:

repeated
intended to hurt someone either physically or emotionally
often aimed at certain groups, eg because of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation
It takes many forms and can include:

physical assault
teasing
making threats
name calling
cyberbullying - bullying via mobile phone or online (eg email, social networks and instant messenger)
Your school should have its own definition of bullying.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 16-Oct-16 10:11:57

I think anything that is done by one or more people that is deliberately intended to upset them and is happening repeatedly is bullying!

Email the head of year and arrange a meeting!

PolterGoose Sun 16-Oct-16 10:16:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iamthecatsmother Sun 16-Oct-16 10:26:32

I thought so, others are telling me I'm making a big 'thing' out of it! Thank you for your replies smile

OP’s posts: |
zzzzz Sun 16-Oct-16 17:58:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in