Funding for 1-1 support at independent school

(15 Posts)
zzzzz Wed 26-Oct-16 18:33:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iwillnevereatspaghetti Wed 26-Oct-16 17:43:08

our 1-1 was funded on the basis that it was cheaper than transport and a state school placement. It's not easy though. We pay fees.

mary21 Mon 26-Sep-16 16:45:25

I know two people who have managed this. One going to tribunal the other managed by proving it was cheaper. Some lea,s are easier to deal with than others and they don't want to set a precedent.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 26-Sep-16 12:25:35

I think it could be possible to get the provision that you want for your son but dependent on your LA it will almost certainly involve at least one appeal/tribunal.

You will probably need independent assessments from at least an EP and a SALT too.

Just think its important you know the reality of this journey!

Good luck flowers

OneInEight Mon 26-Sep-16 06:59:02

An independent school is considered by our LA to be an out-of-borough placement. They will fund such schools but you have to show that an LA school can not meet needs to be successful. ds1 is older but they were happy (probably wrong word) to consider a placement because he needed a small class size (on behavioural grounds) but also teaching at his academic level which was not available in the LA special schools (i.e. all catered for children with learning difficulties). In the end the mainstream independent school decided they didn't have the necessary ASC expertise so he ended up at an independent specialist school. Your first step is to make sure that the EHCP specifies the need for small class sizes , 1:1 support and good academic support so that he can achieve his full potential.

zzzzz Sun 25-Sep-16 22:58:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sausagepickle123 Sun 25-Sep-16 22:39:06

Hi Frogbear just to say that a state school may also agree to part time school/part time home. Until the term following 5th birthday they may be more flexible but then after that flexi schooling is possible if they agree


Frogandbear Sun 25-Sep-16 21:45:09

Thanks everyone. Just to answer questions:

- I have applied for an EHCP.
- School is happy to accommodate a 1-1
- Reason for considering an independent is smaller class sizes and flexibility in the possibility of allowing DT1 to attend part-time for a year or so whilst following an ABA home programme in the afternoons.

OP’s posts: |
Coconutty Sun 25-Sep-16 21:21:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Sun 25-Sep-16 21:18:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Sun 25-Sep-16 21:08:20

Are the private school aware of the issues and willing to accommodate a 1 to 1 LSA? Don't assume they will be supportive as they could simply say his needs cannot be met, and this could change at any point, unlike a state school which is obliged to make adjustments.

PolterGoose Sun 25-Sep-16 21:01:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frogandbear Sun 25-Sep-16 20:52:35

Oh confused

It's just I saw this thread from 2012 where a few people had said they'd been successful.

It would work out cheaper than them funding a state school place plus 1-1 support.

OP’s posts: |
blaeberry Sun 25-Sep-16 20:30:43

I am pretty sure that you would have to fund the 1:1 yourself. If the dc is in a private school then the LA is not responsible for that dc (unless they have placed them there).

Frogandbear Sun 25-Sep-16 16:32:58

My twins will be starting school next year and currently attend a very small pre-school. DH and I would love them to attend a similarly small independent school with a family feel. DT1 has asd and would require 1-1 support at school (preferably ABA). We would of course be paying the school fees but my question is would the LEA fund the 1-1 support for him? Has anyone got any experience of this?

I saw a similar thread but it was from 2012.

Any help or advice much appreciated flowers

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in