Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Level E/Level F funding

(13 Posts)
Cheeka Thu 01-Sep-16 15:12:15

Hi another EHC q! We're going through the draft plan at the moment.

Could anyone explain to me what level E and level F funding means?

I just received an email stating that, after discussion the SLT provision should remain in section G after a discussion with the SEN manager. No reason other than that's what they've decided.

I was also flabbergasted to read that in their next paragraph, they said my DS won't received Level F funding because he HASN'T got ASD, he doesn't meet the funding criteria and that because he's not part of the resource provision at the school, he will receive level E funding instead which they say is enough to support his current needs.
Obviously he does have ASD! I'm wondering if it's because the paediatrician hasn't sent the reports through. I've sent them a copy of DS's diagnosis. So sorry to be really unaware but what is this level E and F?
TIA xxx

youarenotkiddingme Fri 02-Sep-16 09:07:27

No idea but we are going through refusal to assess tribunal atm and la tried the 'question if he has a dx of ASD' as their defence.

Maybe it's a thing hmmconfusedgrin

Ineedmorepatience Fri 02-Sep-16 17:43:34

SLT is an educational need therefore provision for it it should be in part F! There is case law for this, LA's know it should be in part F, do not accept it!

What does the banding equate to? They should be writing hours not banding because band E could be changed to 2hrs next week and there would be nothing you could do about it!

I think you should contact IPSEA, SOSSEN, Education Equality, Talking SENse or one of the other charities that can help you.

Do you have an Independent Supporter?

Ineedmorepatience Fri 02-Sep-16 17:44:50

The thing with the diagnosis too, it could be a clerical error! Send it to them again or better still hand deliver it if you can!

MeirAya Sat 03-Sep-16 01:46:29

They're taking the p* and assuming you don't know the law and won't follow this through.

1) Speech therapy is an educational need. Case law. End of story.
2) Internal financial arrangements like 'band E' arent 'quantified and specified provision' as law requires
3) bet you a Mars bar you'll soon hear 'Ah yes, but ASD is a medical diagnosis, not necessarily an educational need'

MeirAya Sat 03-Sep-16 01:53:41

Dear LA. I expect you to follow the law, and amend DS ehcp accordingly- in particular, putting speech therapy as educational provision and quantifying & specifying some actual provision, not waffling about your 'bands'.

If this is against policy, please just finalise and issue, and I'll look forward to resolving the issues at mediation and/or Tribunal

Hugs xx

Ineedmorepatience Sat 03-Sep-16 09:06:02

gringrin @Meir .

youarenotkiddingme Sat 03-Sep-16 09:16:54

I forgot how much I loved you Meir blush just so simply worded but so hard hitting

MeirAya Sat 03-Sep-16 20:09:39

I think in bullet points, not essays 😄

JudyCoolibar Sun 04-Sep-16 00:02:25

Level E and F funding will be something local to you. It is unlawful to describe support in terms of local banding arrangements, because it would mean that the LA could change your child's provision by changing the amounts allocated to different levels and you wouldn't have any right to appeal against it. If, say, your EHCP says your child is entitled to 30 hours a week 1:1 and one hour a week SALT, then that is what your child must get irrespective even if the band level allocated isn't enough to cover that. But that does make it all the more important to specify support properly in section F. If they don't want to, refer them to the stuff about what should be in section F in paragraph 9.69 of the Code of Practice.

So far as SALT is concerned, refer them to the bit about section F in paragraph 9.69 which says that medical provision that educates or trains - which SALT undoubtedly does - must be in section F.

Cheeka Sun 04-Sep-16 18:05:39

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! it's so disheartening that the LA are trying to pull a fast one. They actually wrote back to say they've received the diagnosis letter and have moved DS back into level F hmmThanks Meir will definitely use your wording for my emailgrin

Cheeka Sun 04-Sep-16 18:26:31

The problem is, the LA based the draft EHC on assessments that took place a few months ago and they weren't really specific enough in quantifying what DS needs. The LA basically told me at the meeting that they've based their info on what was provided. Which seems quite woolly?

I spoke to ipsea and read out some of section F on the phone to them and they said it seems ok. My private SLT seemed to think so too. Thru said maybe a little more quantification in time but otherwise ok.
Here is a little excerpt of section F. Does this look OK to you? Next to these interventions it says 'by education staff/daily'
Sorry for being so clueless!

• Involvement in speech and language groups to help me to develop my verbal comprehension and vocabulary.

• inclusion in a small social skills group at school.

• Use of language rich environments.

• Use of visual aids with words and instructions.

• Daily 10 minutes 1:1 reading activities with adults to support my vocabulary and verbal comprehension.

• Speak in short and clear sentences maintaining eye contact.

• Reward me for any improvement with an activity of my interest to increase my motivation.

• Praise me for good listening and verbal comprehension

Cognition and Learning:

• Seating next to the teacher, close to the board.

• Seat me away from talkative classmates when I need to concentrate.

• Encourage me with positive role-model, peer tutoring.

• Visual aids when giving me verbal instructions, write the steps on the board.

• Ask me for feedback frequently, repeat instructions.

• Make sure you have my attention before giving verbal instructions (eye contact) and maintain the close physical proximity.

• Give short one step directions.

• Praise even small improvements (reward I with activity of my interest for good concentration).

• Be positive and provide frequent feedback.

• Encourage me to work accurately rather than rushing through work.

• Consider the use of extra time.

• Use games on a computer that helps to develop attention and extend the time of concentration.

And in section G

➢ Involvement and advice by the Occupational Therapist
➢ My speech and care plan targets will be reviewed and updated in the Summer term by speech and language therapist

youarenotkiddingme Sun 04-Sep-16 20:20:24

They aren't particularly quantified!
But they can be.

For example - 1:1 for 10 minutes every day to increase my vocabulary is semi specific.
To quantify it you can add something like - I will be able to read the first 50 HF words by X term.

Some one more knowledgable than me should be able to help with this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now