Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can I have some help with pre draft EHCP please?

(10 Posts)
HHH3 Wed 31-Aug-16 14:59:35

Have finally received the pre draft and the planning meeting is next week. Using all the amazing advice I've seen on here as well as the IPSEA website I think I sort of know what I'm doing!

Have only had a quick read through so far but am going to start looking at it properly this evening and in any other child free time I have in the next week. But sure I'm going to get stuck at pointsblush

There are a lot of things I'm not happy with so far. But one thing I'm not sure of is that they've put speech therapy in parts F and G. Is that right? I'm sure I've seen somewhere that it shouldn't be in both parts.

Why do they have to make this so hard? On top of everything else it's the school holidays so I have even less time to myself than usualangrysad

Cheeka Thu 01-Sep-16 10:37:34

Hi I'm in a v similar place. Our draft popped the SLT in both sections but it should really be in F. I wrote an email to the LA saying this:

"from the SEND code of practice:

'Speech and language therapy and other therapy provision can be regarded as either education or health care provision, or both. It could therefore be included in an EHC plan as either educational or health provision. However, since communication is so fundamental in education, addressing speech and language impairment should normally be recorded as special educational provision unless there are exceptional reasons for not doing so'

They also pointed me to these links:
s42(2)Children and Families Act 2014 and paragraph 9.74-9.76 of the SENDCode of Practice 2015"

Hope this helps!

HHH3 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:27:38

Thank-you! That's really, really helpful.

I'm struggling to think of any reason why it should be in health too tbh!

Cheeka Thu 01-Sep-16 19:01:55

Well, they replied to me today to say that after seeking advice from their SEN manager, they are not moving the SLT requirements to F from section G. No reason given other than 'sorry, no'

The very same email states that funding is to be reduced from level F to level E because they say that DS doesn't have ASD!! Which is total rubbish. I've just sent them a copy of his diagnosis report...

HHH3 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:40:22

FFS! They really don't make this easyangry

Just sat down to start listing all the changes I want. Can't think of a better way to spend my eveninghmm

HHH3 Thu 01-Sep-16 21:45:44

Right, I've just spent 2hrs going through it so far...

His OT report hasn't been used at all angry When they agreed to assess the LA asked for assessments including OT. NHS OT refused to assess as his issues are mostly sensory and they don't assess for that here. So I got him assessed privately (and tbf I wanted him assessed anyway because I know he has sensory issues) and sent the report to the LA. Which they've completely ignored.

Given that it was them who wanted him assessed (although I agreed with that and welcomed it) and the NHS refused, can they seriously ignore the private report I provided?

JudyCoolibar Sat 03-Sep-16 14:31:31

Cheeka, have you pointed out the relevant bit in the Code of Practice and asked them to explain why they say it doesn't apply to them?

Your LA shouldn't be describing provision in terms of funding anyway. It should simply be setting out what your child needs. From your point of view, if your child needs, say, 1: support at 32 hours a week plus an hour a week speech therapy, it doesn't matter to you whether he's on level E or F so long as he gets what is prescribed. But that does require them to obey the rules about specifying support properly, which seems to be a big ask for a lot of LAs.

HHH3 Sat 03-Sep-16 14:33:50

I think you've posted this on the wrong thread!

HHH3 Sat 03-Sep-16 14:52:24

Oh, sorry - I'm getting my threads confused. Ignore meblush

Cheeka Sun 04-Sep-16 18:43:43

Yes I did copy and paste the relevant parts of the code but they've chosen to ignore it. They just say the decision has been made by the SEN manager and not given a reason why they are not putting all speech in section F. When asked for a reason they've simply ignored it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now