Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Toys!

(13 Posts)
Tunafishandlions Sat 27-Aug-16 22:00:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ALemonyPea Sat 27-Aug-16 22:36:24

When my DS was a similar age, we bought this drum from Tesco that spins around and plays songs and flashes lights. He loved it.

albertcampionscat Sat 27-Aug-16 23:03:08

Might she enjoy geocaching?

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 27-Aug-16 23:16:13

Oh, she sounds just like my DS! Maps - check, car tracks on the floor - check, things that spin - check. He's 12 and has ASD too.

We have got dozens of map jigsaws, from the big wood block types from craft markets / upmarket toyshops to 200+ pieces. There are various versions of the card game Mapominoes - Europe, Britain etc. They are for older children but had them for years in our house. We have never played them properly but he uses them for all sorts of games he invents for himself. You can get sticker books with maps and flags, childrens atlases, again we've got loads of these.

Cars wise, how about some Hot Wheels track? Or just some more cars, DS has grown out of cars largely now but he was always very happy to get a new set of Hot Wheels cars as a present when younger.

Spinning - he loved the little wooden spinning tops you get in party bag sections of toy shops, Hawkins Bazaar etc. We also had a Casdon toy washing machine that went round by itself, he loved that.

CaptainSnort Sat 27-Aug-16 23:20:40

Would she like a toy compass? My DD has a plastic one that she used to love, I can't remember where we got it from though.

My DS loves spinning toys, he has: a toy washing machine, a fisher price record player, spinning cogs toy from ELC and a tomy magical melody maker that has 5 instruments that spin.

zzzzz Sat 27-Aug-16 23:50:39

You can get an ordinance survey map printed with your house in the middle.

Map puzzles, we love the absorbent minds ones

Montessorium apps for iPad if you have one are lovely as are rantek map ones. Similarly Barefoot world atlas.

SatNav?

She might like the new osmo programming game for iPad but it will be costly, might sidestep you into a bit of coding though.

Spinning
Would a hoola hoop work? Or one of those things you hook on your ankle and jump over? We used to love whirling a biggish button on a loop of string.

zzzzz Sat 27-Aug-16 23:53:17

This!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-QMmfDhrZxg

OneInEight Sun 28-Aug-16 08:53:36

I would go for a globe - spinning and map!! The boys had one from the ELC (are they still around???) that was reasonably durable but lots of places sell them. You can buy plastic coated ordnance survey maps that are much more durable than the paper ones. Look at educational selling sites - they might have geography based games that might be suitable. Don't recommend a children's microscope as they tend to be of poor quality and limited play value (may just be my expectations too high as I used microscopes for many years professionally). When she is older pick up a second-hand laboratory microscope and it will be much better value. I think five is too young though for this.

luckythirteen Sun 28-Aug-16 12:38:33

Something like this - involves spinning, routes/puzzle?

Dannygirl Sun 28-Aug-16 20:58:05

Wooden train track and trains so she can design her own routes
London Underground board game, we played it from when my DS was around age 5-6 years old

Tunafishandlions Sun 28-Aug-16 21:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JsOtherHalf Tue 30-Aug-16 20:51:30

Gear cogs?

www.amazon.co.uk/Quercetti-2341-Georello-Kaleidogears-55pc/dp/B00000J048/ref=pd_sim_21_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4MCWZQ7PJ7XTTY321ZP5

Lifeisshort123 Sat 03-Sep-16 23:51:44

How about a map book suitable kids or an inflatable globe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now