Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Receptive language delay, echolalia and repetitive behaviour in 2 year old

(8 Posts)
craftyoldhen Tue 09-Aug-16 22:05:36

My DS has been assessed by a SALT as having receptive language delay. He's 2 and a half and I've written about him on here before
here

He has a lot of echolalia and can recite whole picture books and scenes from TV programmes. But his understanding and original speech is at the 2 idea level (green car, big ball) but not consistently- in the "test" he could do some but not others.

She says I need to talk to him in 2 word sentences as much as possible, which I'm finding surprising hard!

He has a lot of repetitive behaviours, which SALT said might be just down to anxiety because his understanding is so poor, or might be something on its own. He has very little imaginative play.

He has a lot of strengths - an amazing memory, he shows a desire to communicate, he has good gestures, SALT said he's quite interactive and seems willing to learn.

Has anyone got any advice or tips for me to help him?

Does anyone know if receptive language delay can resolve with with support and time, and if this is likely to be the reason for repetitive behaviour and echolalia? I'm obviously worried about ASD especially as my DD has an ASD diagnosis (aspergers). But I guess there's a part of me hoping it's purely a language delay that he will grow out of with help (foolish?!).

zzzzz Wed 10-Aug-16 12:59:09

I would be thinking the same as you. With ASD already in a sibling, repetitive behaviour, echolalia and language delay why wouldn't you be considering ASD?

I know you don't want to but why don't you push for assessment? There's no point in shuffling around.

wine and a big hug.

craftyoldhen Wed 10-Aug-16 13:16:02

I am thinking ASD. It's pretty bloody obvious to me and the rest of my family! But the SALT gave me a glimmer of hope that it could be just language delay. But realistically does receptive language delay happen in isolation? There's no history or language delay anywhere in the family and his hearing is ok.

We did go to GP for referral in the end and he has an appointment with a paediatrician but not till October. If they have sufficient concerns he will be referred for assessment (that's how it works here). It will take forever 😣

We are paying privately for SALT in meantime because he's really struggling with this, and everything seems to take so long on the NHS.

zzzzz Wed 10-Aug-16 14:05:14

You can get it in isolation but I believe more usually with LD. (I am jet lagged but I think that's right).

For me, I always hoped for an ASD rather than language disorder as an outcome.

craftyoldhen Wed 10-Aug-16 16:33:44

Thanks zzzzz. I will admit I know absolutely nothing about language disorder. Or language delays for that matter. Feel a bit lost.
Can I ask why you'd prefer ASD as an outcome?

zzzzz Wed 10-Aug-16 16:44:26

Ds started out as a bit autistic ish but severely language delayed/disordered. I read compulsively for years and while he developed and things became clearer and more fuzzy in turn I realised that what mattered most to me was his happiness, and everything I read seemed to point to better outcomes for ASD.

It's ridiculous of course because he is one person not a trend, and because having been through the dx process and heard so much about others children I realise that the population is too amorphous to pull any sense out of the frankly flakey research that IS out there.

It doesn't matter what they call it. He is himself. Personally I'd just focus on him while doing dx in the background. We only get one childhood.

Msqueen33 Thu 11-Aug-16 08:37:47

I would go for an assessment. After one child with asd I don't think many of us like the thought of two. I'm kind of in the camp that I'd prefer autism over a language disorder. My six yr old has asd and her language is very good. My youngest is three and a bit and has asd also but her language is terrible. Salt have already suggested a language disorder. Life is much easier with my six year old as she can talk. I hate the thought that my youngest won't be able to converse or express herself.

craftyoldhen Thu 11-Aug-16 13:42:58

Yes msqueen I hate it too.

When DS was a baby I couldn't wait to hear his little voice so I could get to know what he likes, how he thinks, his little personality. It's the best bit about toddlers IMO, and DD was really eloquent at this age, it was very sweet.

And it is lovely to hear his voice but I wish he would tell me what he wants for breakfast rather than recite Hairy McClary at me grin

I feel like I don't really know his personality yet because he's such a closed book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now