Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Speech Therapy

(15 Posts)
ImReallyPleased Tue 02-Aug-16 21:12:06

smile

DS6 suffered a stroke in his early years of life, which has affected his speech (basically he has to program/think about what he wants to say in his head i.e get the words together in the right order then say them out loud 8/10 they don't come out in the right order, he is now at the age where he is learning to spell so he tends to write things down) just wondering do you think he would benefit from speech therapy?

Thanks in advance.

zzzzz Tue 02-Aug-16 22:22:01

The quick answer is I'm not sure. I'm not an expert and while I have both a child who was born with a severe language disorder and ASD, and another child who had a prolonged series of seizures at 1 and "forgot" how to use one side of her body and lost her speech, I have no idea if these are the same sort of issues.
My own feeling is that SALT are very good at supporting speech development (eg forming words, time, and swallowing eyes) and less helpful for language issues (eg putting sentences together, tense and pronouns, word finding). I'm sure therapy CAN help but we made better progress flying by the seat of our pants at home.

Does your some have the same problems putting words in order in writing?
What DO you do at the moment?

If you have an iPad the Language Builder app might help (nb you have to do it with them there's nothing that they can just toddle on with as far as I know).

How's his working memory in other areas? (Eg can he go to the cupboard to get 4 things you've listed or copy numbers from one page to another?)

There is a charity called AFASIC that might be interesting and I would want to read about auditory processing disorders too.

Not sure if any of that is particularly helpful. You can ask for a SALT assessment and just see what they say, but it takes months to get to the top of the list so is probably worth starting now.

ImReallyPleased Tue 02-Aug-16 22:45:53

Firstly thank you for replying and secondly sorry to hear about your childrens disabilities.

He does have difficulty putting words together the same way he does saying words, to be honest with you I am not doing anything at the moment, it is just a case of me asking him YES or NO questions to make things easier for him, I understand that I have to let him gain some independence of his own and stop babying him.

His memory is not very good either, he often forgets where he has put stuff and he gets very upset about this, he has an iPad I will download the app for him.

zzzzz Tue 02-Aug-16 22:56:24

How old is he?

Is he well now?

There's lots and lots that can be done and while I do think lots of practice doing the things we struggle with is important, to be honest so is being given scaffolding to function by those around you so your whole life isn't reaching over your deficits. It sounds like you know this instinctively and so simplify communication for him, which is kind and confidence building.

I think iPad is brilliant for communication difficulties as is learning to read (ignore all the people who say what a "challenge" it will be because of his language, they don't have the same investment in his future as you so are not as motivated/effective wink)

ImReallyPleased Tue 02-Aug-16 23:07:01

He is 6 and yes he is well now, it is his speech and thinking which has been affected.

PolterGoose Wed 03-Aug-16 07:54:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImReallyPleased Wed 03-Aug-16 09:28:53

Thanks PolterGoose flowers

Can you please tell me how I can get an assessment? I'm really clueless about all of this.

PolterGoose Wed 03-Aug-16 09:44:06

ImReallyPleased Wed 03-Aug-16 09:53:20

Oh ok, I think I will have to go down the private route, thanks once again.

zzzzz Wed 03-Aug-16 13:10:23

We've done both private and LA EP and I would strongly advise not going private. Are you in the uk? Given his history I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest an EP would be helpful (you can get one even if you are in a private school or Home educating). Same with SALT and OT (though with SALT you will get to direct therapy much wicker with private as they have loads more time).
When did he last see consultant peadiatrician? When did you last liaise with the SENCO at school?

ImReallyPleased Wed 03-Aug-16 14:01:07

Hello zzzzz I am unfamiliar with the words LA EP sorry, yes we are in the UK DS is at a private school where he is falling behind and he doesn't like going as he finds it very hard to make friends, so I am thinking of withdrawing him and a finding a school which will meet his needs, he has never seen a paediatrician, he does get a "little bit" of help at school but it is not enough.

PolterGoose Wed 03-Aug-16 14:11:56

ImReallyPleased Wed 03-Aug-16 16:39:57

Thanks again PolterGoose for the information, hopefully I'll be able to sort something out very soon.

zzzzz Wed 03-Aug-16 16:48:42

My ds was at prep school till 7, and is now state educated. We did teeny mainstream primary and are heading to secondary special school. The provision in state school was vastly superior as he had full time 1:1 and they helped us get into SS for secondary.
If you haven't given notice yet write and do so now, you can ask for it to be a rolling notice because of a possible move, or job uncertainty.
Ds is probably more severe than your son but can I just reassure you that he was liked, included, part of every play and fete, and trip, and lived his primary (as did I).

ImReallyPleased Wed 03-Aug-16 17:58:43

zzzzz I do too think he would benefit more from a state school as I know they do cater for children with special needs, I will look for state schools near by, once he is given a place I will then withdraw him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now