Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Hong Kong with ASD child

(11 Posts)
1805 Wed 27-Jul-16 13:00:52

I really really want to take my kids to visit a friend in HK. dd 11 has asd. Am I mad to even be contemplating this? She doesn't like crowds as a rule, but I reckon with lots of preparation and pictures/discussions/facetime conversations she could do it. I've talked to dd about this and she is worried already that she will spoil the holiday by not coping.
I was thinking about Easter next year.
Am I mad?

tartanterror Wed 27-Jul-16 19:49:58

Difficult to know. I would have thought it best to trial a short haul flight to Europe this year before committing to long haul......

Sausagepickle123 Wed 27-Jul-16 22:58:19

Yes agree difficult to know. Hong Kong can be hot, busy and cramped - think much more high rise apartment towers than we have here. However there are some lovely open spaces in the hills and beaches to visit away from hustle and bustle.

1805 Wed 27-Jul-16 23:22:03

she's done a long haul flight before - we had assistance going through he airports to avoid the queues. (This was Air New Zealand by the way who were fantastic and very helpful - highly recommend them.)

I think I am mad actually. I don't know what I was thinking. She will be in a small apartment with 5 possibly 6 people and 3 cats, in a city which is very over populated. Full of new smells as well, which she is a bit sensitive to.

Ok. scrap hk.

eskimomama Thu 28-Jul-16 10:08:58

is there any chance you can rent your own place in HK, even a small studio near your friend? Your friend's small apartment with 6 people and cats sounds like a bit too much?

I find my DD deals MUCH better on holidays when we have her own place so she can calm down after all the stimulation (typically when we stay at my in-laws she can't handle it and we have meltdowns everyday).

It's very encouraging your DS could handle the flight to NZ so well! In my opinion the flight is the hardest!

1805 Thu 28-Jul-16 19:01:10

eskimo - I always ask for assistence at the airports which helps a lot. Then I just let her watch tv/ipad whilst on the plane. We have only had 1 close call when she refused to get on the plane at the boarding gate!!! The long haul she has done was heathrow to LA.

zzzzz Fri 29-Jul-16 03:16:33

The journey is doable. The flat maybe less so. Would your budget stretch to a hotel?

zzzzz Fri 29-Jul-16 03:17:50

What do you want to do in HK? It's far busier than , say, London.

youarenotkiddingme Fri 29-Jul-16 09:06:00

In think anything is doable but you need to adjust to what can be managed.

So yes, a busy place with high rise flats and noise crowds may not work.

But could you rent somewhere in HK she could manage (beach place for eg) and have your friends stay there with you? Or maybe you could all meet in a country in the middle?

Btw it's great yiur DD is communicating her needs and sensory difficulties. Better than thinking she'll manage and it be a disaster!

zzzzz Fri 29-Jul-16 09:59:30

Renting in HK is ££££££ if they still do rooms Parkview would be ideal (hotel) but again it will be expensive.

1805 Fri 29-Jul-16 17:27:16

Thanks people.
Maybe I should just take ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now