Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory room for asd toddler?

(8 Posts)
Laurajay84 Sat 23-Jul-16 13:17:27

I've been thinking about taking my 3 year old with asd to a sensory room but not sure if he would enjoy it? From what I've seen it would be lovely for relaxation for him but as his asd is fairly mild apart from his speech, I'm not sure if it would be right for him.

Does anybody go to sensory rooms? What benefits have you seen for your child?

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 13:24:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Laurajay84 Sat 23-Jul-16 18:38:09

Thanks Polter, it does look wonderfully relaxing smile

May I ask how often you used to go? Was it a weekly thing/more or less often than this?

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 18:52:24

PolterGoose Sat 23-Jul-16 18:52:58

JsOtherHalf Sat 23-Jul-16 22:55:24

Caldwell children charity can cover 80% of th e cost of sensory equipment if the household income is under £45K or so.

www.caudwellchildren.com/how-we-help/core-services

Cerebra can also help.

Melawati Mon 25-Jul-16 18:39:36

DD has had access to an amazing sensory room at her current placement. She has loved spending time there and it's been very beneficial in helping to identify (for her and for professionals) what works and what doesn't work for her.
The most positive aspect has been the opportunity just to try a variety of things out, as DD finds it very hard to articulate her sensory needs, and was in such a heightened state of anxiety at the beginning that she was completely out of touch with what she needed to feel safe and calm.
So my advice would be, if you have the chance go and have a try of it, and ask the staff there what you can do at home to replicate anything that DS particularly enjoys.

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 12:05:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now