Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School appeal, no school for sept

(14 Posts)
IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Fri 22-Jul-16 07:35:06

my DD will be going into y6 in sept
She is/was in mainstream. After a good year she has become very dysregulated and this resulted in extreme violence towards staff and me
Not all the time
The police had to be called to school. School are very supportive
We agreed to a very limited timetable and I've had her home most of the last 3 weeks
HT called an emergency interim review
HT and I had expected she would be back at the school in sept with plans to transition gradually to a SN school. Without the end of term stress there will likely be no more episodes
The LA reviewing officer attended. No review happened
She said DD was out of the school. She had sent her out of date EHCP to a school, I and involved professionals believe not suitable, and they had agreed they could meet most needs and she was to start in sept
Of course i said that wouldn't be happening
She said LA decision would be cost based and if the school could meet 70%of need it would be considered adequate
It is an LA school over an hour away but they already have a child going in a taxi and this is another financial driver
The school is behavioural and boy heavy. She is triggered by a volatile environment and emotionally vulnerable
Can anyone help with the process I need to follow
LA also said if I want to appeal and request a non LA school the panel meet monthly and typically meet 3x before a decision is made. This would mean no educational setting till near Xmas

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 09:00:21

How is Dd "out of school" if she has had a reduced timetable and you didn't deregister her?

Has she been expelled?

If so on what grounds?

Do you know which SS you want her in and have you looked round/approached them?

If The EBD school isn't appropriate then don't think about it, but do organise what you will do if you are school-less for a term. (NB once you are school-less it can be extremely difficult getting back in so that's not ideal, it isn't impossible though and all options have positives).

Be calm. We will all help you find a solution that has a good chance of working, not least because just about every educational path under the sun has been attempted by one or other of us grin

It can get much better and there ARE schools who will support her well and allow her to be the best she can.

brew

Melawati Fri 22-Jul-16 09:20:39

Has the original school deregistered her? If not, I would suggest that you work with them to keep her on roll there (even if she's not able to attend or able to attend only part time) and use that time to identify the school you want.
Get the professionals involved to write a letter explaining why the EBD school is unsuitable, and why the school you want/staying in the same place for now is more beneficial for your DD.
DD stayed on the roll of a school she wasn't attending for most of a year while we found a suitable school and went through the EHCP process.
Good luck, take a deep breath and let the end of term madness pass before you start working out your next move. flowers

HaveYouSeentheWritingontheWall Fri 22-Jul-16 10:59:55

The use of the word adequate is now obsolete when used to refer to what education is expected. A school must meet all needs to achieve the best possible outcomes, 70% does not = meeting all needs and will therefore not meet the criteria for best possible outcomes. If a school cannot meet all needs then it is not a suitable school.

HaveYouSeentheWritingontheWall Fri 22-Jul-16 11:10:19

Ask the LA for clarification on whether this is a permanent exclusion.

Do you have a statement of SEN or an EHCP, why has it become out of date?

IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Fri 22-Jul-16 11:44:25

I'm stressed here and will write properly later
I'm taking her to school for the afternoon
She has EHCP. HT called a review becauseit longer gave a true reflection
I've rung the HT of the new school. It's not true that she has a place
Paperwork was sent but he said they would not make a decision based on paperwork and they would expect a proper transition
So she doesn't have a school place

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 13:25:38

Just say you want her to stay at her present school until they can find a suitable placement for her and do a managed transfer as that gives her the best chance of finding her way back from the very stressed and overwhelmed place she is in. Ask the HT to help you achieve that and then listen very hard to his response.

Do you have a preferred school already?

HaveYouSeentheWritingontheWall Fri 22-Jul-16 13:40:20

Until you have a ehcp that names a different school then the current school named on the ehcp must continue to provide an education for your Dd.

You have the right to name a different school if the current school say they cannot meet the needs and the LA agree, the LA must have regard to your wishes.

If the school are saying that they can't meet the needs of the child then a managed move should be arranged between the LA, the current school and the proposed school and a full transition should take place.

IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Fri 22-Jul-16 18:54:40

Thanks for your replies
I contacted the head of service
The decision has been overturned. She will go back to her school and any move can be properly decided and planned

zzzzz Fri 22-Jul-16 19:20:27

Well done. You poor old things what a horribly stressful waste of time.

Try and just focus forward, have a lovely holiday and next term you can just concentrate on finding the best placement possible.

HaveYouSeentheWritingontheWall Sat 23-Jul-16 16:16:47

That's good news, for now try and get the ehcp tightened up to reflect the change of needs and also start looking about for a secondary age placement that will be able to meet the needs of your DD.

Remember that the ehcp yr 6 annual review must be completed by March 31st (iirc) so ideally you need to know which school you would like her to attend.

Melawati Sat 23-Jul-16 17:06:41

Well done, hopefully you can relax and enjoy your holiday now.

JudyCoolibar Sat 23-Jul-16 20:07:12

Contact someone like SOS SEN about how to get the ECHP tightened up and brought up to date.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 24-Jul-16 22:36:02

Wow they really tried it on didn't they.
Well done you for standing your ground and getting the best solution for now whilst under immense stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now