Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What happens at ASD assessment?

(7 Posts)
Blossom4538 Sun 17-Jul-16 18:58:20

Hiya,
Our little girl (5) has been referred to the local consultant Paed who I believe will carry our ASD assessment. What usually happens and do we get sent a questionnaire beforehand? I'm sure I've read that somewhere. Also keep on hearing that our cons Paed is fantastic but some say assessments last couple of hours and others say they only had 20 mins with her?!!

nancyclancy123 Sun 17-Jul-16 19:35:07

Our dd was diagnosed a couple of months ago, 1 week after her 5th birthday. We'd already filled out a questionnaire, her school did one too and the paed felt that she needed to be seen. The day she was diagnosed (I was dreading it) was a breeze for us, really straightforward. There was a speech therapist, 2 psychologists and our paediatrician in a room, once dd was settled we chose to exit the room as we felt this would be easier. They played with her and chatted to her, paed came out and asked us lots of questions. Once they'd finished, dd came into the waiting room with us and we waited for them to discuss their findings. We then went back into the room and they told us that was on the spectrum (obviously they went into more detail). We were told it would take 3 hours but I think it was about 2 in the end. We were then given info on courses on offer, we got to ask questions e.t.c

PolterGoose Sun 17-Jul-16 20:24:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

athomewithcats Mon 18-Jul-16 10:43:20

Again it was different for us. Diagnosed at 12yrs, ds saw a community paediatrician, then me and dh attended an ADI, finally ds did a ADOS.

370tox Mon 18-Jul-16 12:11:44

Take any relevant video with you I possible. Consider how much you want to tell your child, and if you would like to take some headphones, so you can speak more freely...

Blossom4538 Wed 20-Jul-16 22:29:35

Thank you all. I think our little one won't want to be left with them. We've had the initial Paed assessment, then school referral to Ed Psych, motor processing skill assessment, Play Therapy and now Ed Psych asked lots of questions and observed have in classroom environment and referred her to the consultant Paed, due to her A-typical development profile.

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 12:19:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now