Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Receptive language and possible ASD 22 month old

(5 Posts)
2boysandadog9 Sun 17-Jul-16 12:51:56

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but my DS2 is just about to be 22 months old and is not developing typically. I took him to the doctor and HV Last month as I was concerned by his lack of words, minimal understanding, not answering to his name, not pointing.
He was and is a very happy little baby, always smiling, rolled and crawled on time and walked by the time he was 1. Around 14 months we noticed his left eye was turning in and finally got his eyes tested at the hospital when he was 19 months and he now has glasses. It was around 18/18 months that I started to notice his lack of pointing or gesturing. He had previously clapped but would no longer do it but had never pointed that I can remember. The more I observed him I noticed that he didn't understand most I what I said to him, to be honest I think I had been good at predicting his needs and he never had to really ask. If he wants a drink he will get his cup and put it in my hand and for a snack or toy or to go outside he will push me from behind towards what he wanted but not point to it.
I have a referral to the cheyne development centre and also speech therapy which should come through in the next few months. I have paid for some private speech therapy and have bought 'more than words' hanen book as well as Greenspan engaging autism which I am speed reading to get some ideas of how to encourage his development.
He seems to understand a few things like, bath time, sleepy time, upstairs, sit down.
He has started to bring toys to me a bit, and his eye contact can be very good, although sometimes it isn't. He is happy around other kids and will play alongside them, even look at them and smile.
I am pretty sure he is somewhere on the AS, but I guess he is too little to really know where. My major concern is his receptive language issue. I have seen some improvements over the last month, he did point and clap a few times but I am naturally impatient and worried that he is progressing too slowly or there is more I could do to help him.
He is also becoming more frustrated and started having tantrums, which are usually quick to stop. I'm not sure if this is just coming up to terrible twos or his frustration with language (or both!)

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I have been looking through old posts here for the last month and there seems to be some great advice and support. Especially Lingle, who I think may not be here anymore?
If anyone had a child like this at his age but have seen good progress I would love to hear tips!!!

zzzzz Sun 17-Jul-16 13:19:02

Well you've found the right place. smile. It's sounds like you know your son well and are doing well gathering support around you. Reading back through both ASD related and Language related posts is an excellent idea.

2boysandadog9 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:44:18

Thank you so much for replying. I feel like for the last month I have been permanently searching the Internet for tips and stories.
I just want the best for my DS2, and other parents are in my opinion the experts!!
His understanding is what I am working on first, as I think it's the building block for other communication. Lots of floor time and interaction, which he is responding to very well. He is such a sweet cuddly little boy, I just want to be able to communicate with him better!!

dimples76 Sun 17-Jul-16 22:05:46

My son is 3 and is developmentally delayed but not ASD (at least he does not appear to be!). His expressive and receptive speech are both delayed

Things that have helped us have been using Makaton (like Mr Tumble), lots of books and picture cards. In relation to pointing his Portage worker recommended blowing bubbles and modelling using your index finger (although for him called it 'pointing finger') to pop the bubbles - he was soon copying me and then later moved on to pointing at things - I appreciate that this may not work for you but it's fun any way. Also singing 'Wind the Bobbin Up' to encourage him with the pointing actions.

I have used some techniques recommended for ASD children like visual planners.

One other thing - has his hearing been checked recently? My son's seemed fine although I noted that he was struggling to say some letters but it turns out he has glue ear which is causing moderate hearing loss. I think because my son has global developmental delay I didn't really consider other physical problems so I think it's always worth checking

2boysandadog9 Mon 18-Jul-16 13:01:52

Thanks for your advice dimples76, I sometimes think he may just be developmentally delayed, but there are some red flags for ASD.
Its mostly the lack of pointing and not looking where I point that is the main sign. He doesn't have any repetitive behaviours or obsessions (yet) and he is fine with changes in routine. Socially, he is fine around other children and adults, but isn't playing with them so much, although he is still a bit young for that. He has started to bring toys to me a bit, and occasionally will look back at me when playing in a shared attention way.

I have read that sometimes the ASD signs disappear once language develops more, so maybe once/if he progresses the gesturing will improve.
I did have his ears checked last month as he was bunged up with cold from Christmas until about April, they said one ear had some fluid and the other was fine, however it may be that they were both bad and are just starting to resolve.
The GP said with his sight being poor and possibly his ears being full of fluid it could have contributed to the delay in receptive language.
I am trying a few signs, but his attention is not great so haven't really got far with it and will keep trying!! He does love Mr Tumble and I watch it with him and do the signs to reinforce it for him.
The bubbles are a great idea, he loves them so I will try the popping and see how it goes.
Thanks so much!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now