Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School refusal and being threatened with education supervision order

(9 Posts)
craftyoldhen Mon 11-Jul-16 13:49:53

A mum from DD's old school is being threatened with an education supervision order.

She has a 10 year old with ASD and ADHD who is school refusing. She manages to get him in eventually, but is late most days.

Does anyone know where she stands with this?

BuffySENsational Mon 11-Jul-16 18:51:31

I am in a similar but different situation. The advice I received from here and SOSSEN solicitor is to first go to your GP and ask them to refer child to CAMHS or a Developmental Paediatrician. Then ask the school for a meeting and find out what is going on and what do school intend to do to help?

Ineedmorepatience Mon 11-Jul-16 19:38:45

There is always a reason for a child to be unable to attend school, usually refusal is anxiety driven. Is that the case?

If it is anxiety that is the cause then the school need to accept some responsibility and help not demonise the parent!

Only my opinion of course!

craftyoldhen Mon 11-Jul-16 21:23:30

Her DS has already been seen by community paed and CAMHS. I don't think there's much they can do about the school situation though.

School are notoriously shit at putting in support, that's why we moved my DD.

apple1992 Mon 11-Jul-16 21:25:15

Depends what camhs/paeds said?

BuffySENsational Mon 11-Jul-16 21:43:48

If the child is to anxious to attend or their anxiety is preventing them from attending school on time then the Paed or CAMHS can write to the school explaining that child has anxiety because of xyz.

At least that's what I e been told and indeed am hoping for when we see CAMHS next week confused

Ineedmorepatience Mon 11-Jul-16 21:51:11

Can she not move him? If school cant or wont support him?

blaeberry Mon 11-Jul-16 22:55:37

Could she be proactive and contact the education welfare officer herself and ask her for support?

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:00:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now