Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA Veterans, how did it turn out?

(10 Posts)
MaterofDragons Fri 08-Jul-16 19:45:28

DTs (3.5) are on a home programme, part-time. They've made good progress and have gained many useful skills. I'm happy, but still worried about the future. I'm worried about further regressions, plateau, money of course! If I can't get it funded then we will have to end the programme v soon.

I know our children are all different but I would really appreciate some feedback from veterans. Those of you who ran an ABA programme for your pre-schoolers/young children, how are your children now? What age did you end the programme and at what stage did you feel it was no longer needed?

Lottielou7 Sun 10-Jul-16 12:27:02

My dd, who is now 14 had a program from the age of 3 to 10. I personally don't think it's appropriate to ABA a child forever - I think it certainly has a shelf life.

In my daughter's case she acquired many basic skills that she never would have. Her case is a bit more complex in that she's severely autistic and developed epilepsy at 8 which caused regression in some areas. Now that she is older, she certainly has a much better receptive understanding than she would have. I think it's much easier for people to work with her and set targets. I am not sure she would have had much spoken language without ABA.

MaterofDragons Mon 11-Jul-16 16:17:59

Thanks Lottie, that's very helpful (and hopeful)

I had no idea until recently that a child could develop epilepsy at any point. I naively assumed that it is something you're born with. I've spoken to a few families with children with asd and a significant minority of the children now have epilepsy (one boy at 16).

Through ABA I have changed the way I parent, for the better too I think. I'm glad though that there will be an end point for a formal programme!

Lottielou7 Mon 11-Jul-16 17:34:42

I think that something like one in the children with ASD develop epilepsy.

MaterofDragons Wed 13-Jul-16 11:45:50

Thanks Lottie was that 1 in 10? That's more than I thought.

Was your DD non verbal to start, how is her expressive language now?

Lottielou7 Thu 14-Jul-16 16:08:34

I was told 1 in 3. I had no idea it was that high.

Miwish Fri 15-Jul-16 22:32:57

Hi sorry don't mean to highjack this thread but I require an experienced ABA tutor in Birmingham for my autistic, non verbal 8 year old niece. We already have a consultant and have set up a programme. This will be a part time vacancy.

Lottielou7 Sat 16-Jul-16 00:53:01

Miwish - have you advertised on the yahoo group ABA-UK?

MaterofDragons Sat 16-Jul-16 09:20:03

No problem Miwish there's also aba tutor finder although I've not used them. Try local colleges/universities of you need additional inexperienced tutors.

We found that the right personality works a million times better than someone with heaps of experience but who doesn't get out of the chair!

Lottie 1 in 3 bloody hell sad

user1469789422 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:24:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now