Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds keeps biting children at school. :(

(6 Posts)
Stanky Wed 06-Jul-16 21:26:02

ds is almost 5 and has global delays. We have recently had behavioural problems at school, with him hitting out at people. He was excluded from school aged 3 for hitting the TA. I'm obviously not there when the biting happens, but his teacher says that it's unprovoked. If it happens again, then he will be excluded again.

Would this be grounds for him to require 1:1 support in school? The TA already works closely with him (supposedly), but she also works with a few other SN children in the class.

I feel that if it can be stopped just before he bites a child, it would prevent that child being hurt and my ds being excluded from education.

He doesn't understand or remember what he's done. I don't know what to do without being there and seeing what goes on. Any advice please?

zzzzz Wed 06-Jul-16 22:40:58

Excellent ask for each exclusion in writing and then use it.wink

It sounds like they need to be providing much more support.

youarenotkiddingme Thu 07-Jul-16 07:02:41

Ask for a,copy of incident reports (names blacked out). Use this to apply for more support.

The simple answer is yes, they should be providing more if what they are doing isn't working.

Stanky Thu 07-Jul-16 07:44:02

Thank you. I will speak to the school.

zzzzz Thu 07-Jul-16 08:07:42

As an aside, I have 5 children so have lived through 5 reception classes. Whatever anyone implies and however pinched their faces get LOADS of 4 year olds bite/hit/pinch. You are not to feel embarrassed or ashamed or upset about this. Children display this type of behaviour when they are overwhelmed and ALL the adults surrounding him need to help him feel safer and find better ways to show his anxiety.

Stanky Thu 07-Jul-16 16:44:45

Thanks zzzz. That's very reassuring. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now