Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

how is he doing that?

(18 Posts)
iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 19:32:41

DS (14) does not like going the his paed appointment (ASD,ADHD,ODD) and completely shuts down when we go there, he doesn't acknowledge the dr at all, just completely spaces out.
Last few appointments they have taken his pulse while he is shut down and struggled to find it, the dr just gave up last time after checking he was actually breathing.

He can get up and walk with me to and from the room, sit in the chair but that's it, once we get out he's fine again

zzzzz Mon 27-Jun-16 19:54:33

What are the appointments for?

iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 19:57:13

Just 6 monthly check ups to see how he's doing really, if he has anything new to tell them, ask how he's doing at school try to push the medication on us

Is that not normal?

zzzzz Mon 27-Jun-16 20:24:34

Nope, not round here. Unless you are trying new drugs why would they need to see him confused, unless he is ill?

iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 20:28:47

They keep talking about drugs but I don't want them for him,they are basing it on the kid they see at the hospital, not the kid that stands in the dark for 15 mins waiting for me to go upstairs so he can jump out and scare me little shit

iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 20:30:13

It's not always 6 months actually, sometimes it's a year, depending on how he's been doing,what's new etc

I just assumed it was normal, we've had these appointments since he was 6

zzzzz Mon 27-Jun-16 20:40:34

Why don't you just say they're not helping?

iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 20:42:28

I don't know. I just assumed it was normal for them to want to see him that often confused

PolterGoose Mon 27-Jun-16 20:45:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Mon 27-Jun-16 20:46:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 20:49:28

This has been going on for longer than he's been a teenager.
He doesn't shut down like this any other time, he does ignore/avoid which is petty much how he got the ODD diagnosis

zzzzz Mon 27-Jun-16 20:55:35

Does he do it at the GP?

iammamam Mon 27-Jun-16 21:53:46

He hasn't needed to see a GP for 6/7 years and he just ignored the dr and I spoke for him

zzzzz Mon 27-Jun-16 22:07:48

Have you asked him if he'd like to change paediatricians?

I'm on my back foot about regular appointments for disability. I think as and when open door would be more appropriate. If he was going to brave annual appointments wouldn't a wellness appointment with his Dr be more useful to him? In 4 years he will be adult, now would be a good time to start learning to use medical practitioners effectively.

reader108 Tue 28-Jun-16 11:03:27

My ds 'shuts down' when he's overloaded always has done. I mentioned it to the Gp he is now being referred to be assessed for partial seizures! We haven't seen a pediatrician since diagnosis 5 years ago when he was 5 years old.

Melawati Tue 28-Jun-16 20:50:18

Regular review does seem to be part of the care package here. It's either 6-monthly or annual, just to touch base. So in that sense it's 'normal' but it doesn't sound like it's helping your DS.

Ineedmorepatience Wed 29-Jun-16 09:54:31

Yep we get an annual check up for Dd3 too, it was 6th monthly but now she is so settled it has gone down to annual.

We got referred to the next authority for this though because my authority diagnose and discharge which isnt helpful if you are struggling.

Dd3 rarely speaks in appointments although she isnt completely shut down.

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:14:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now