Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

My DC with dyspraxia failed his martial arts exam today

(6 Posts)
MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Mon 27-Jun-16 00:03:10

I feel sad for him but also very, very proud of him.

We spent all morning at a martial arts exam. He told me beforehand that he wasn't feeling confident but I asked him to try it anyway. I told him I would be proud of him for trying regardless of whether he passed or failed.

His instructor called us to the side as we went to leave and told us he had failed. My heart went out to him.

He tries so hard but this is the reminder to me that he has challenges that other kids don't have to deal with sad

I still think he's great, of course. My boy is the dog's as far as I am concerned.

I'd love to cocoon him from the world at times but he had to learn how to deal with disappointment today.

I hope I haven'the done him a disservice.

sh77 Mon 27-Jun-16 09:08:56

You sound like an amazing parent that he should be so proud of. My 5 year old has ASD and I think we will get a dyspraxia diagnosis. I drop him off to school and leave with a heavy heart as he is different to his peers. Your ds has kept trying and that in itself is an achievement. It's easy to get demotivated in the face of challenges but he kept going.

rasopathy Thu 30-Jun-16 11:33:49

Just Curious, had the examination body been advised to make "reasonable adjustments" for his dyspraxia in the marking process

milothemonkey Thu 30-Jun-16 12:16:15

Good question.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Thu 30-Jun-16 13:39:15

No, not at all. His instructor was the examiner though.

rasopathy Thu 30-Jun-16 14:59:45

Dyspraxia may be considered as a disability under the equalities act. My god son has dyspraxia and he was given extra time in written examinations.

For activity exams the condition should also be taken into account when marking.

my daughter who has a disability and also dances, has reasonable adjustments applied for her dance exams.

It may be worth investigating how this would help in future exams, and even in the past exam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now