Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Urgent advice needed please!

(6 Posts)
yippeekiyay2 Wed 22-Jun-16 09:18:43

Hi all, my dd is 7 and currently being assessed for autism (Aspergers). This has taken a year already but we are hopeful that it will be done within the next few months although no guarantees at this point. We are also requesting an ehcp assessment and awaiting word on that. She currently attends breakfast and after school club with a private provider that are based on the school site. She attends three sessions of each per week, we dropped this down from full after juggling work as it was too many for her. She has had a couple of incidents recently with a new young member of staff which have escalated to her hitting or kicking them. The club are now saying they will no longer have her at after school club but she can go to breakfast club as the staff are scared of herhmm. They have said that if she had the diagnosis they might be able to apply for extra funding but I can't click my fingers and make that happen now unfortunately (if only I could l!). Do we have any recourse to stop this happening as it will seriously impact on work. I am alsom31 wks pg with high bp already and this isn't helping! Thanks

zzzzz Wed 22-Jun-16 17:26:32

They don't need a diagnosis to apply for extra funding confused

youarenotkiddingme Thu 23-Jun-16 07:55:19

Funding is based on needs not diagnosis.

I'd also be asking for them review what the actual issue is. Is it this one member of staff? Is it perhaps something as simple as the staff member needing training in how to meet the needs of children with SN/ASD. Use of language, deescalation techniques etc.

I think there's a big difference between a child general behaviour and their behaviour with 1 person.

zzzzz Thu 23-Jun-16 07:57:05

This is very very true

I think there's a big difference between a child general behaviour and their behaviour with 1 person.

yippeekiyay2 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:11:14

I think it is one particular member of staff, a young inexperienced lad, but they are claiming he had training for autism through a school he did some of his course with (think he is nvq). I am a bit dubious about the quality of the training if he did. We're juggling work and drop offs and pick ups at the moment as work is quieter for us at this time of year and are looking to see whether there are any alternatives for next year. If there are I feel we will have to make a complaint, but our hands are tied by whether we will need them or not at the moment! We have heard the assessment for ehcp is going ahead so we may be able to get funded for 1:1 through that eventually?

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:15:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now