Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Bupa won't cover OT assessment for dyspraxia. Who else would I go to privately that can?

(7 Posts)
sh77 Tue 14-Jun-16 11:29:44

I haven't mentioned dyspraxia to bupa - just that ds is struggling to write. They will cover him to see a consultant but who do I go to? A neurologist?

zzzzz Tue 14-Jun-16 11:59:39

You go to your GP and explain you have private insurance and want him to be revered privately and THEY will do the referral.

venys Wed 15-Jun-16 10:33:19

BUPA wont cover chronic conditions so things like learning disabilities are not covered. They will cover medical things eg. MRIs and Blood Tests. GP does referral but you have to find consultants you want to see yourself.

zzzzz Wed 15-Jun-16 11:30:18

i don't think that's quite right, I think it's more SOME conditions are exempt. Normally it's pre existing stuff and some named stuff.

youarenotkiddingme Thu 16-Jun-16 07:07:54

But without assessment they can't tell it's long term difficulty.
Surely you are just asking for referral for assessment? Not asking them to provide OT therapist services at this point?

LIZS Thu 16-Jun-16 07:10:50

It isn't really a medical assessment. You could ask to see a developmental paediatrician via Bupa, if gp writes the letter, but ultimately you would probably have it fund referrals such as Ed Psych or OT. We had some covered by insurance when living abroad but not in UK.

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:36:00

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now